Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Technician
    Taskalfa 250ci - Transfer Belt stick to all drums over weekend

I have inherited this copier (no history of previous repairs/services), Kyocera Taskalfa 250ci with only 28k page count. It has very strange problem - all prints and copies come out with lines. I took it apart, cleaned each drum, put it together and was working perfect for about day. This was on Friday, we were closed on weekend, on Monday lines are back. When I try to take it apart again I noticed that Transfer Belt stick to all 4 drums, leaving part of transfer belt on drums when I unstick it. Is anybody experienced something like this? Is this belt defective or drums some how getting hot (or electrified) and melt transfer belt? What I should replace or adjust - please advise?

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: Taskalfa 250ci - Transfer Belt stick to all drums over weekend

Ok you're an end user to start and you have possibly screwed up ALL the drum units by messing with them. The units are designed to be changed as a unit not taken apart. You needed to do individual colours to determine if it was a drum or transfer belt issue.

different coloured lines all together indicate a transfer cleaning issue - one colour could indicate a drum cleaning issue.

if you want to do your own servicing then get hold of a service manual but remember if you bugger it up its your fault.

Technician

It is not cleaning issue. And I did not take drums apart. Yes I read service manual - all 626 pages (Rev. 6), nothing in manual about sticking transfer belt to drums. All 4 drums stick to the transfer belt over weekend.
    Yes I have new 4 drums and transfer belt to replace with but asking experts here what can cause the problem described above. I have feeling that it is settings somehow responsible for that.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

what did you clean the drum with ?. any chemicals. also did you clean the transferbelt and what product did you use. never seen transfer belt stuck to drum yet.
    could you post a picture of this. a close up picture.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRust View Post
    It is not cleaning issue. And I did not take drums apart. Yes I read service manual - all 626 pages (Rev. 6), nothing in manual about sticking transfer belt to drums. All 4 drums stick to the transfer belt over weekend.
    Yes I have new 4 drums and transfer belt to replace with but asking experts here what can cause the problem described above. I have feeling that it is settings somehow responsible for that.

Whys it not a cleaning issue?

Technician

No chemicals were used to clean. Whatever transfer belt made from (rubbery/plasticy substance) was scrapped off drums with plastic scraper. Transfer belt was wiped off with clean cloth. Will post pictures tonight.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Whys it not a cleaning issue?
    I have narrow down issue to two possibilities:
    1. Transfer Belt deteriorated and sticking to the drums?
    2. Somehow drums getting power in stand by mode, getting hot and transfer belt melting to the drums as it is resting on drums. Or static electricity doing same?

It takes little bit of effort to separate drums from transfer belt when I removing transfer belt assembly. So I am leaning toward melting issue...

At this point my goal is to replace all parts and to make sure new transfer belt did not stick to new drums?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Well you have to find what really happened there before you install those new drums and transfer belt. those things are quite expensive and another failure would be costly. The only thing i could think of is alcohol in contact with toner produces rather stick stuff. Also if the machine was fine before the cleaning, then you have to retrace your steps in the reassembly process that you took.
    In trying to see what may be at fault here. check all the fans and make sure they are working and in the proper orientation, that is exhaust and intake.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Technician

Sticking Transfer Belt is the reason I took machine apart. So the problem was there before I got this copier.

Really need a picture. The drums won't get hot or power in standby mode so as what's been said don't replace the drums yet.