Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Kyocera 3050ci in a Mac environment Printing ASCII in the middle of the night

I have a customer that has several machines and this issue happens every night. The machines will start printing out junk ASCII until it runs out of paper. My first response was to change their driver over to PCL and that didn't have any effect. I thought maybe a piece of software was running that was attempting to print a report overnight or something and couldn't find anything.

For now we are going to take the paper out of the machines and let them run overnight with some network monitoring software to attempt to "capture" whatever is happening. I was just hoping that you folks might have some other ideas because I am batting a big fat zero right now.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Seen it on one machine with an IP conflict but never all machines. Does their network hardware do anything at that time? Do their servers or managed switches do anything overnight that may result in weird network traffic?

Is it random ascii or can you look through it and gleam anything at all. I've looked through a whole ream before and found a file name. From that file name managed to cure the issue.

Could switch the macs off for one night to rule them out or in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jhalfhide; 01-08-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 3050ci in a Mac environment Printing ASCII in the middle of the night

Put in in mode U977 data capture mode.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 3050ci in a Mac environment Printing ASCII in the middle of the night

I'm impressed that you got the local IT interested enough to take action. It's far more common to get the blank look, then "Can't you just fix the copier?"

All it takes is a single wrong print driver to generate reams of PostScript garbage. Also, print count monitoring software can send data that can generate PostScript errors. If you can sell it, the simplest and most effective solution is to just change the IP address on the printer, and in the drivers. Let that sender continue to send out whatever data to that unused address.

I did an install of a Kyocera a while back. The IT assigned me an address. Before we even loaded drivers the MFP started printing out 9 year old emails. I should have known then that there were mismatched drivers sitting out there somewhere.

Could there be an undisturbed print queue with 9 year old print jobs just waiting there for a printer to appear? I guess so. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'm impressed that you got the local IT interested enough to take action. It's far more common to get the blank look, then "Can't you just fix the copier?"

All it takes is a single wrong print driver to generate reams of PostScript garbage. Also, print count monitoring software can send data that can generate PostScript errors. If you can sell it, the simplest and most effective solution is to just change the IP address on the printer, and in the drivers. Let that sender continue to send out whatever data to that unused address.

I did an install of a Kyocera a while back. The IT assigned me an address. Before we even loaded drivers the MFP started printing out 9 year old emails. I should have known then that there were mismatched drivers sitting out there somewhere.

Could there be an undisturbed print queue with 9 year old print jobs just waiting there for a printer to appear? I guess so. =^..^=
    I bet you anything that those e-mails were meant to be printed on a Hewlett-Packard Printer!!!

I had one location that we put a Kyocera printer in. Same IP as a previous HP....and when they sent a print job, the Kyocera recognized the HP formatted print stream! Pretty nice for compatibility issues, especially when you are dealing with a server mainframe environment!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    I bet you anything that those e-mails were meant to be printed on a Hewlett-Packard Printer!!!

I had one location that we put a Kyocera printer in. Same IP as a previous HP....and when they sent a print job, the Kyocera recognized the HP formatted print stream! Pretty nice for compatibility issues, especially when you are dealing with a server mainframe environment!!!

Not just Hp, any driver will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ran into this problem with a Ricoh this week, MAC And PC environment that is also connecting using RDC to a TS server. Tech support had me close the FTP port because they said that their maybe a virus attacking the port. That said, I also changed the IP and will keep the RDC connection blind until a few days pass.
    Last edited by Brianneoe; 01-23-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: did not post full post

I have finally figured this out! The company is a small direct tv contractor, so the software that they use to manage installations and appointments had a setting in it that generated a two page report but printed as if it were an old LPD printer. I didn't see it at first because they were running the software in a Virtual box underneath the Mac.

As far as getting their local IT on it they weren't much help as it was the old "our IT is this guy I know". I just got permission from the customer and my boss and sat next to it until it happened lol.