Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Kyocera 420i -incoming fax locking up machine

When receiving a fax this machine will lock up. It will continually show receiving fax and the memory light will blink but It will not print out the fax. Any print jobs sent to the machine during this time will be in the queue waiting for the fax job to print. I can shut off the machine and turn it back on at which time the machine will print out the fax and the print jobs that are in the queue. A few weeks ago it did something similar and I could not get the machine to print out the fax job. I tried changing the fax and fax memory board but at that time but the only thing that worked was an initialization (went into maintenance mode and performed simulation 21). Has any one seen this problem where an incoming fax will lock up the machine.

Thanks in advance

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 420i -incoming fax locking up machine

Have you tried the fax system initializing sim 600

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If you havent already I would update the firmware and is it giving a F code.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have not tried the fax initialization. I'll go back and try that. I reflashed the firmware when it had a similar problem last time

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Couple of off the wall questions:
    Is the machine hooked up to a VoIP line? We had all sorts of problems with a non standards based VoIP line back in the day.
    Also, does the problem occur with all incoming faxes? If so, please ignore the rest of my post as it will probably be a waste of time.
    There are certain fax machines that are not compatible with the latest technology. The two categories that come to mind at the moment are cheap old fax machines and older computer fax modems.
    A bit of fax history might help - the first fax machines had a certain amount of memory dedicated to the fax language, but only half of it was used, the other half was reserved for future functions. At that time, quality fax machines blanked the unused portion of that memory, but some cheaper fax machines left that memory full of garbage. As time went on, newer machines started adding enhanced features to the unused portion of memory. However, the garbage in that portion of the older machine's memory would be recognized as enhanced functions as well, functions those machines don't possess. When newer machines try to process that faulty data, all manner of undesirable operations can occur.
    If it is the case that your machine is being contacted by an incompatible unit, either they need to be blocked (or they need to join the second millennium), or some advanced features on your machine will need to be turned off.
    I'm not a Kyocera tech so I don't know what's possible, but on the equipment I work on I've found that setting up a dedicated configuration for them with the ECM feature turned off usually helps.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 01-15-2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Already too long, needed to remove unneeded duplication.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Do you have fax forwarding on?