Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts andyf424's Avatar

Firmware frustration

I have two Kyocera TASKalfa 6501i that I can't seem to do a F/W update on. I have 4.06 downloaded, extracted and copied to a 2gb thumbdrive (tried two). Contents of the compressed file are in the root but, I also tried copying the files over in the extracted file folder. Turn off, pop in the thumb drive, turn on machine and it boots like normal, no firmware screen. I re-downloaded the firmware, re-extracted it, tried two different thumb drives and tried the u025 for high security, nothing. Machine boots up and ignores the thumb drive.

Gotta be something stupid I'm missing here. Hopefully somebody will point out something I'm missing, I'll be a little embarrassed but will get this finished.

Thanks,
    AndyF

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Firmware frustration

Does someone have the usb of the machine turned off?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Firmware frustration

I'm really interested to hear, what the heck Toner Killers question means. That make no sense to me.
    Anyway.
    3 Stupid things I may have come up with.

1. Are you putting the usb drive in the correct usb hole(up in the control panel, not back by the network connector)
    2. I have copied the extracted files to the thumb drive and missed a few files, by not scrolling all the way down to copy all the files before copying to the thumb drive
    3. I'm wondering if a 2 gig drive is too big, as in the past Kyocera machines that used flash memory cards, you couldn't use larger than 32mb or it wouldn't work

1. using usb port by control panel
    2. hitting ctrl-a to select files, also checked under properties to make sure what is on the thumbdrive is the EXACT same size as extracted files.
    3. these thumbdrives have worked in the past, oddly, theyre Kyocera promotional drives I got from the regional rep. I've got a 2gb I wanna try, "old reliable" I call her.....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Firmware frustration

Just thinkin out loud here.
    How about formatting the thumb drive?
    I know you have to format it for the High security method and use the usb port in the back for high security method also?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing it as your supposed to.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

What Tonerkiller is talking about is that it is possible to turn the USB ports off for security reasons (some over-zealous IT managers do this). When this is done, the machine will not recognize the USB stick, even for firmware. To test, power the machine on and see if the machine sees it and allows you to print or scan files from / to the USB stick.

Another possibility is that it just does not recognize that USB stick. I have had the best luck with SanDisk USB sticks, even as large as 16GB.
    And what is strange is just because the machine can read a USB stick in normal operation does not mean that it will work for firmware update; I have several I can print from directly connected to the machine, but am not able to update firmware with.

As far as the files, extract the firmware file that you download from KDA Connect, but do not unzip any of the files within the firmware pack, the machine will handle those.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Format the stick, but before hitting format, click "restore device defaults" and format it. Than give it a go.

Technician

Are you plugging into the screens usb port? I've seen the connector for that usb port become disconnected over time

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Firmware frustration

Quote Originally Posted by iceman490 View Post
    Are you plugging into the screens usb port? I've seen the connector for that usb port become disconnected over time

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    or wasnt plugged in since setup/installation when i'm suppose...to ...connect them?

*cough* has happened to me, HA!

Does the machine read your USB after booting up?
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

The LED light on the drive flashes when it boots, I can print a .PDF from the drive once the machine is on. So the port works. Also, I did try the high security F/W mode in service