Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

KM-4050 Jam after pickup from tray 2 with code J018

First trip out I found that the Feed Guide B was broken. I ordered and replaced. Seemed to resolve the issue. Then got a call that the unit was having a problem again. Replaced the fuser (damaged) and then removed a paper jam in the registration area (appeared someone tore paper there). Then, during testing, started jamming again right after it picks up from tray 2. It gets to the rollers on the lower right door (right after pickup) and then crimps the paper and throws a jam code. i swapped cassette, pickup assembly, rollers on door and springs to hold door closed. When I say swapped springs and rollers, front to rear on springs and top with bottom on rollers so I could see if it made a difference. Nope. I then went into service and tested clutches, motors and solenoids. Slight difference in sound on one motor test for feed 2, but that was about it. I've seen some references to conveyance switches being an issue, but only for EU.

So, the door appears to be a little off kilter (if I really split hairs) but when I hold it in place, it still jams. The motor really doesn't seem to be an issue - one time a little noisy. I'm thinking the switches. Any help would be appreciated. Starting to go a little crazy on this one...or is it just because it's winter?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: KM-4050 Jam after pickup from tray 2 with code J018

I've got a record for you:

Misfeeds (Jam J18) from trays #1, #2, and #3. Misfeeds (Jam J14) from MPT. Jams every time from all sources. Harness wire broken to pre-registration clutch FCL1. It's hard to explain the occurrence at 507K prints & six years service. Repair/solder broken wire in harness inside the middle feed unit.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would double check to see if one of the paper path sensor actuator arms is now broken off(with all this jamming and removing jams, it's easy to brake them and not notice that they are now missing)
    If not, you will probably have a fun time removing the vertical feed assy to get to the clutches and gears that are on the back side of the vertical feed assy and in front of the rear frame of the machine.
    but they are attached to the vertical feed assy. A lot of stuff to take off of the machine to get it out. (front left covers, both left side doors, rear cover, drive motors, big metal bar that holds the 2 left doors, the little left side door too)
    Hope its just a broken actuator.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've got a record for you:

Misfeeds (Jam J18) from trays #1, #2, and #3. Misfeeds (Jam J14) from MPT. Jams every time from all sources. Harness wire broken to pre-registration clutch FCL1. It's hard to explain the occurrence at 507K prints & six years service. Repair/solder broken wire in harness inside the middle feed unit.

=^..^=
    The strange thing is that it doesn't jam every time and it doesn't jam at all if I use tray 3, which right now is set to legal size. It's only with tray 2. Sometimes I can clear the paper, close the door, replace the finisher and it will pickup/feed/etc. just fine for 2-3 copies before it throws a jam.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    I would double check to see if one of the paper path sensor actuator arms is now broken off(with all this jamming and removing jams, it's easy to brake them and not notice that they are now missing)
    If not, you will probably have a fun time removing the vertical feed assy to get to the clutches and gears that are on the back side of the vertical feed assy and in front of the rear frame of the machine.
    but they are attached to the vertical feed assy. A lot of stuff to take off of the machine to get it out. (front left covers, both left side doors, rear cover, drive motors, big metal bar that holds the 2 left doors, the little left side door too)
    Hope its just a broken actuator.
    No luck there - those were one of the first things I checked. I also tested the conveyance switches. The only hint of something was a very slight delay on releasing the #2 switch.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Replace the vert. transport clutches. I have delt with this issue before and found this to be the solution.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I had a similar problem on an old KM 3035. It ended up being those black mylar pieces on the inner door were messed up causing jams out of tray 2. Other than that I would go with the vertical transport clutches.. and good luck with that

Technician

I had a similar issue that resulted in great disappointment. After spending hours replacing clutches and sensors, found that putting my knee on the side door for the paper feed assembly applied enough pressure for the machine to stop jamming. I'm not saying it's a fix, but it's definitely worth checking before spending countless hours with replacing parts that are difficult to get to. (And our fix was adding a shim underneath the springs so that it applied the pressure without us holding it.)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerkiller View Post
    Replace the vert. transport clutches. I have delt with this issue before and found this to be the solution.
    Thanks! Since I have never swapped these before and you said "clutches" - should I replace just the clutch associated with tray 2 or all? Another response said good luck...are these difficult to get to? How long would you say it would take - on average - to replace them?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kathyde View Post
    Thanks! Since I have never swapped these before and you said "clutches" - should I replace just the clutch associated with tray 2 or all? Another response said good luck...are these difficult to get to? How long would you say it would take - on average - to replace them?
    I gave you the readers digest version of getting to the vertical clutches by removing the vertical feed assy, in my previous reply.
    If you've never done it before, plan on a couple of hours at least.
    BUT
    Since you said it never jams out of drawer 3, the vertical clutches might be ok and you just need to focus on drawer 2 clutch or feed assy, which is not the same area.