Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

2126 MFP Theory manual

Hi There, Has anyone got a theory of operation manual for predominantly the 2126 mfp and also the 3051ci. I work for a Utax dealer and have been trained on these models (and more besides!) I am a print production engineer who is used to having theory manuals to fall back on to resolve issues. However after many requests to Utax technical support for these manuals or extra information it seems the well has gone dry. The main concern to me is the small MFP colour machines frequently misbehave in every way possible with no clear resolution. They calibrate too often, ask for toner too often, overtone too often and eat dev units for the fun of it. We had a similar problem with the larger colour machines until I worked out by trial and error that running U952 after cleaning and turning U464 sleep out calibration to off that these machines are now running quite reliably now. They don't run dirty either, just have problems with the dev units periodically when the void down one side and we have to replace them at huge cost!! Why does it cost £600 for a dev unit when you can buy a service kit that is pro rata much, much cheaper than the dev unit but we cant claim warranty for a service kit, only the dev unit when you buy it? Not very good when as a Lexmark dealer if you need to claim a warranty they send you the part and give you money back to cover most of the labour time!! Going back to the 2126 mfp, is there another way into the maintenance mode as in the manual there are adjustment items that cannot be accessed in maintenance? Sorry for going on a bit but it winds me up that there is so much information available but no real explanations.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    2126 MFP Theory manual

Re: 2126 MFP Theory manual

The little Gemini color desktop MFPs are unreliable, expensive to operate and maintain, and the consumables rarely make yield. And those are the good points. The feed rollers rarely make more than 100K before they start jamming. Are you aware of the famous Gemini update kit? The first one took me 9 hours to do. With practice you can do it in less than 6 hours. The kit addresses many of the little and big annoyances with this model. I've heard stories about techs being unable to re-assemble the machine part-way into a kit install. If you take good notes/pictures that shouldn't happen. I've never had to scrap out a machine for that reason. Do you have the bulletins? If no, send a private message. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

Re: 2126 MFP Theory manual

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The little Gemini color desktop MFPs are unreliable, expensive to operate and maintain, and the consumables rarely make yield. And those are the good points. The feed rollers rarely make more than 100K before they start jamming. Are you aware of the famous Gemini update kit? The first one took me 9 hours to do. With practice you can do it in less than 6 hours. The kit addresses many of the little and big annoyances with this model. I've heard stories about techs being unable to re-assemble the machine part-way into a kit install. If you take good notes/pictures that shouldn't happen. I've never had to scrap out a machine for that reason. Do you have the bulletins? If no, send a private message. =^..^=
    Thanks for the reply Blackcat. Yes we have a login to the Utax tech site so we have followed the bulletins and updated firmware including the "reset" firmware! We have fitted the Gemini kit to several machines but that only resolves the problems for a while. The new models seem ok but what worries me is that there is "reset" firmware available for these too!! Worrying that is!! These machines defy logic, they make you look like an amateur when tring to recover them on site. Some customers have invited us to their Christmas parties as they think we are on their staff!! These machines should be looked after by trainee engineers as a test of their patience and determination. It would be good reality TV watching them get more and more frustrated. .