Question Task Alfa Side deck stuck at upper limit???

I've got a Task Alfa 8000i with a (PF-770?) side deck that intermittently gets stuck at the upper limit. Customer cannot open to refill paper because the lift stays at the top. I have previously swapped the entire Pickup assembly with another machine and thought this had the problem licked for several months, but now it's back. Anybody have experience with this?
    Thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Task Alfa Side deck stuck at upper limit???

I have had one of these permanently stick at upper limit and the cause was a warped plastic drive part. Replaced with another and it lasted a few months before doing the same. Cheap build unfortunately so credited the customer as a good will gesture and just took away the PF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Task Alfa Side deck stuck at upper limit???

had a similar problem ,the machine was in a college and above the side deck was where they had there it box with switches etc to reach the cupboard they had to stand on the side deck.
    eventually they managed to bend the top and it did what your one is doing .make sure they are not using the top as a table to stack things on.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I noticed something interesting on the PF770 LCT last visit. I don't know if it's just their paper, but if you stack the whole 3000 pages in there, the ends of the stack are a full 12mm higher than the center. As a result the paper tends to jam and flip corners. If you only stack it to 2000 it's fine. As an experiment, I cut some corrugated cardboard 8.5" x 6.5", 8.5" x 7.5", and 8.5" x 8.5", then stacked them up smallest at the top, and taped the whole mess to the lift plate. Now the whole stack sets perfectly level at 3000 pages, and has about a 9mm crown by the time you get to the bottom of the stack. This doesn't seem to cause any kind of a problem.

I don't remember encountering this problem on the other Kyocera LCT's (PF-650, PF-660). Maybe this is why Kyocera typically does not try to stack 3000 to 4000 sheets in one pile. Because it usually ends up not being a level pile. I seem to recall addressing this same sort of issue on an HP LJ9050, not because it was 3000 sheets, but because they were printing onto flat foldable window envelopes, and the additional layer of clear plastic thickened up the one side of the stack considerably. I seem to recall making a wedge shape to even up the LTR stack so it would feed. Has anyone else addressed this? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I noticed something interesting on the PF770 LCT last visit. I don't know if it's just their paper, but if you stack the whole 3000 pages in there, the ends of the stack are a full 12mm higher than the center. As a result the paper tends to jam and flip corners. If you only stack it to 2000 it's fine. As an experiment, I cut some corrugated cardboard 8.5" x 6.5", 8.5" x 7.5", and 8.5" x 8.5", then stacked them up smallest at the top, and taped the whole mess to the lift plate. Now the whole stack sets perfectly level at 3000 pages, and has about a 9mm crown by the time you get to the bottom of the stack. This doesn't seem to cause any kind of a problem.

Thats a bit odd ball though...
    Sounds like the paper-deck base lift plate is concave(bent downward) in the center. The extra weight of the paper stack could be making it worse.
    12mm div 3000 = 0.0004 mm/sheet. It would have to be an accumulated weight issue because the variation in center height per single sheet is insignificant. I believe you would certainly notice the paper-deck bent base lift-plate with 12mm concave deviation.

Then again the paper manufacturing company might have a 0.004 mm ware problem in their paper manufacturing industrial rollers, even though the sheets are cut from a larger paper size....

Interesting how you solved the issue...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Thats a bit odd ball though...
    Sounds like the paper-deck base lift plate is concave(bent downward) in the center. The extra weight of the paper stack could be making it worse.
    12mm div 3000 = 0.0004 mm/sheet. It would have to be an accumulated weight issue because the variation in center height per single sheet is insignificant. I believe you would certainly notice the paper-deck bent base lift-plate with 12mm concave deviation.

Then again the paper manufacturing company might have a 0.004 mm ware problem in their paper manufacturing industrial rollers, even though the sheets are cut from a larger paper size....

Interesting how you solved the issue...
    I didn't think of wear on the paper making rollers. It certainly makes sense. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I am having this problem on a pf-770. When the feeder runs out of paper the metal lift plate reaches it's physical limit. The plate cannot go as high as the paper stack because of the four places where the cables are attached. They simply hit the metal side frame before the cork pad can raise the feed roller to stop the lifting.

Anyone have a good fix? nothing is deformed on this feeder that I can see.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

That's most likely failing lift motor (the big and expensive stepper motor). These side decks had so many changes and fixes, it's mind boggling. Scroll thru service bulletins if you have access. You might find the exact symptoms on some of them, and how to fix it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I managed to get the PF-770 working. There is a 16 page QA bulletin that has good information that should be included in the service manual. In the end I made an unauthorized modification to stop the paper stack slightly sooner than before. It is still high enough to feed and when the paper runs out the platform is short of it's physical limit.

The real test will be in the field.