Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician 500+ Posts

Data Security Kit

I have been researching information on the Data Security Kit (E). Found the Operation Guide which was helpful. By the way I have never installed a Security Kit. The question that was posed to me was: Can you remove the kit and use it in another machine?

The Operation Guide said the kit includes License Certificate and Installation Guide. This would make me believe that the answer is NO. It sounds like PinPoint Scan. Can anyone who has knowledge on this elaborate?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Data Security Kit

I've used it once on an FS9530DN. The licence for that machine was a USB key you had to leave in the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    I've used it once on an FS9530DN. The licence for that machine was a USB key you had to leave in the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man that was quick! Thanks. The machine in question that they wanted to know if it could be removed from and used elsewhere was a 3500i.

Service Manager 250+ Posts just a tech's Avatar

The answer is "No".. Once the license key is registered with Kyocera and entered into the machine, the license key and machine serial # are then "married" to each other..
    Some things to keep in mind if you install a kit :

• Since this is an older machine, I'm sure its been in use for a couple of years.. During the installation process, there will be a formatting of data within the Hard Drive.. On installations of new data kit onto old machines, it sometimes can take a few hours for this process to complete.. So don't just go in there thinking it'll just be a 15 minute ordeal and then you'll be finished.. Ya never know.. Might not take long at all.. But ya want to be prepared just in case..
    • Once you perform the installation, print off your "Service Status" page to verify correct installation.. On the left side of page, under the heading "Installed Options", you should see the Data Security Kit listed there as being installed..
    • Depending on if your customer utilizes address books, accounting codes, etc.. You may want to go into Service Mode and perform Mode 917 so as to back up any user data to a thumbdrive.. Because the HDD formatting that will be taking place at some point will definitely wipe that stuff out..

Hope this helps..
    JaT

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Data Security Kit

On any of these new models, the data security kit really isn't necessary with the Data Sanitization mode on them. The DSK is to encrypt the data going on to the HDD, in case of the drive being pulled. If you're worried about the end of lease, Data Sanitization will take care of that.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook