Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician 500+ Posts

Resetting data in used copier

I have just acquired a used 3500i. Low count of 300k. I plan on going through this machine and placing it in the field. I noticed the status page shows Job Separator, Card Authentication (B), and Security Kit (E) installed. There is no Job Separator or Card Reader on this machine. Anyway to reset/remove this?

Also I'm sure that other information such as address books, fax setting name, etc.. are on the machine as well.

Is there a way to clear the machine without altering settings that would cause issues with the performance of the machine?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Resetting data in used copier

You don't sound like you're very familiar with Kyocera ? U211 for the Sep Tray. You're not able to disable the card reader. Get a used one off ebay & install it in the back cover. Data sanitization, hdd format and/or system initialization will get rid of addresses & set the machine back to default settings.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    You don't sound like you're very familiar with Kyocera ? U211 for the Sep Tray. You're not able to disable the card reader. Get a used one off ebay & install it in the back cover. Data sanitization, hdd format and/or system initialization will get rid of addresses & set the machine back to default settings.
    Your right, Im not that familiar with Kyocera. I was trained in Atlanta on Kyoceras a few years ago and then left the copier biz. I'm back now and trying to get familiar with them. Thanks for the U211. I guess I will just go through it and delete stuff. Unless I do a complete PM i don't want to set everything back to default. Thanks again for your help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post

What do you mean by system initialization. Is it u21?. If u21 is executed, what would it affect in terms of system values that will affect print quality ect ?
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Technician

U24 will format the hard drive, and U21 will initialize it. Should not cause any damage or altering to the image quality, but get rid of the address book and other user settings.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genesistech View Post
    U24 will format the hard drive, and U21 will initialize it. Should not cause any damage or altering to the image quality, but get rid of the address book and other user settings.
    Thanks for the response. I would second that, as U21 has fixed issues in the past that other settings would not. put it this way, it is a magic of some sort when all else fails. In a redeployment, i would include the u21 as it does not change the scanner and print margins and registration ect. I usually don't work on this model, only setup them up new out of box, thus wanted to verify. Would the same hold for the colour models, or the usuall cal, reg and halftone run after u21 ?.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Thanks for the response. I would second that, as U21 has fixed issues in the past that other settings would not. put it this way, it is a magic of some sort when all else fails. In a redeployment, i would include the u21 as it does not change the scanner and print margins and registration ect. I usually don't work on this model, only setup them up new out of box, thus wanted to verify. Would the same hold for the colour models, or the usuall cal, reg and halftone run after u21 ?.
    U021 is the same for the color models as well. U021 just initializes all settings such as mode settings, to set the machine settings back to factory default. It also initializes backup RAM in certain cases. When we receive a used machine that we are planning on reselling, we start with U024 and U021. Then we will go through calibrations, registrations and such afterwards, if needed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Same goes for color models subaro. U21 doesn't reset those you mentioned. The only thing i don't like about it is that it wipes out the event log. Unless you print it before resetting, you will have no clue what was happening with a used machine.

@genesistech it doesn't exactly put machine to factory default, since you keep the firmware version with U21. Though executing factory deafult will clear everything.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    Same goes for color models subaro. U21 doesn't reset those you mentioned. The only thing i don't like about it is that it wipes out the event log. Unless you print it before resetting, you will have no clue what was happening with a used machine.

@genesistech it doesn't exactly put machine to factory default, since you keep the firmware version with U21. Though executing factory deafult will clear everything.

Good point on the Event Log. And my fault, wasn't trying to say set the machine to factory default, but the machine settings to factory default.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The older machines had system initialization in the user menu. Running this would change any user settings back to default. I can't find it on the 3500i menu, so they must've done away with it.
    U021 blows all settings back to default including maint codes. I would assume if you did this one a color machine, a recalibration would be necessary. (464,412, 410, etc.)
    I've only had to use it a few times to fix really odd problems.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook