TA 6500i jam 4703

Hi guys
    got a machine that is 1.66mil prints causing this jam from tray 3 bulk bin.
    the tray is the main tray not sure of volume but would put it close to 1mil?
    I changed all the rollers as they were worn and ran 150 from the tray no issue, the jam log showed various gaps in jams 5-10-30 quite close so thought it was fixed as I an lots more and the machine was printing out while I waited but has come back in for jamming, not been there yet as call came in to late today.
    im guessing it will be the same and the customer has stopped using the machine, they do have others.
    im fishing for anyone who may have had this jam code from any tray?
    My thoughts are I will swap paper feed units with one of the less used ones as a tester but if you know of this or a bulletin I would be grateful for your help.
    cheers
    Les

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    TA 6500i jam 4703

Re: TA 6500i jam 4703

That jam code points to the exit section above the fusing unit, that's where I would start. Check to see if the duplex gate is sticking.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    That jam code points to the exit section above the fusing unit, that's where I would start. Check to see if the duplex gate is sticking.
    Cheers for the reply, strange only from tray 3 and they never do duplex or very little so that could be a pointer as well if the duplex is not used might be sticking in some way?

I will update if I find cure.
    Les

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    TA 6500i jam 4703

It's always good to consider what the enduser tells you, but quite often that information is flawed or just plain wrong. Your own observations will be much more valuable. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    TA 6500i jam 4703

I agree with tmaged, look at the switchback section. I bet if you defaulted the unit to pull from tray 1 you would start getting 4701 codes. The last digit is just which drawer the machine pulled the paper from, it does confuse people. We had a tech not only rebuild a LCT unit, but replace it [unit was a 4500i] because the last digit in the code kept telling him it was tray3. Only to have the problem solved by finding a cracked set of fingers on the gate. If tray 3 had a problem you would be getting a different code as most likely you would have a failure to arrive at the registration sensor etc. And it can be pretty random, after rebuilding the LCT it ran for three weeks before throwing the code again, ditto for replacing the LCT. The code points to the switchback section.

Well guys my obsession with tray 3 was a red herring, I striped down the exit unit and the rollers were caked in crud, I cleaned them and the solenoid and smoothed the gate pivots just in case.
    more than that I found the foam rollers on the de-curling unit on the bridge unit falling to pieces one looked like a blown tyre with a large flap of foam flapping about, got rid of the nasty bits and ordered new roller.
    thanks for your input, I usually go with what the machine is telling me in error/jam logs but not this time it seems. Lesson learned.

Cheers to you all and have a great weekend.

Les

Service Manager 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madas View Post
    Well guys my obsession with tray 3 was a red herring, I striped down the exit unit and the rollers were caked in crud, I cleaned them and the solenoid and smoothed the gate pivots just in case.
    more than that I found the foam rollers on the de-curling unit on the bridge unit falling to pieces one looked like a blown tyre with a large flap of foam flapping about, got rid of the nasty bits and ordered new roller.
    thanks for your input, I usually go with what the machine is telling me in error/jam logs but not this time it seems. Lesson learned.

Cheers to you all and have a great weekend.

Les

Check the actuator in the exit section. It really wears down, and the sensor does not get an absolute reading. I replace these actuators every 1 million. It may look ok, but when you compare it to a new one, its night and day.

Cheers dckm
    I replaced exit unit and foam roller in decurler.
    After my visit where i cleaned exit roolers and trimed foam rollers 15k prints no jams with the 470x
    Only 5 jams total differnt codes.

Les