Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician 500+ Posts

Swapping parts protocol

I need to find if a machine with no history has the original parts in it. To clarify I will create a scenario:

Lets say a PM was performed on copier 1 and sometime after that someone removed a part from copier 1 such as the developer unit to put in copier 2. They then brought back the developer unit from copier 2 and put it in copier 1. Is there some way of knowing if the developer unit now in copier 1 is not the one installed during the PM. Hope this makes sense

I have found on the Service Status Page that the drum serial # is printed. In this case I can see the serial # on the drum and match it with the Service Status Page. Also if someone can look at the attachment and note item 50 on the Service Status Page. Looks to me like parts were installed at different times versus just installing a KIT. I would have thought that all KIT parts would have the same count. I included 3 pages in my attachment (2 from the manual and 1 Service Status Page from the copier so you hopefully would not need to look anything up.

Sorry to have to ask something like this but I am a one man band here and the tech before me is gone. Also I hope I explained it well enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.Kyocera 3500i project.pdf

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Swapping parts protocol

Looks like just the drum was replaced later. It's the second line which shows the correct counter information. I believe the discrepancy between the MK and the other two components are due to the coeffecients for longer paper being used on component counters but not on the PM counter. As well, the drum and dev counters should be accurate as they are automatically reset with newly installed components. The transfer belt is manually reset in U127.

Code:
    0017387/0248404/0248404/0245089
    Drum   /Trans  /Dev    /MK-A
    In your scenario, I don't know if U118 will tell you anything but it should theoretically tell you the drum history (if my engrish translation skills are up to par).

U118 reads as:

Displaying the drum history
    Description
    Displays the past record of machine number and the drum counter.

Technician 500+ Posts

Thanks wragsdale. Been struggling with this. Whats weird is the drum unit look like it has a lot more wear (actually needs replacement) than 17k which brings up another question. I know that when you run the U code for a new drum unit installation the counter is reset. I would assume if someone installed a used drum from another machine, the drum count would not be altered unless they ran the U code. Is my thinking correct?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Swapping parts protocol

Actually the serial number for that consumable, in this case a drum, will be listed on the drum serial list, but the counter will only be reset if it is new. The actual consumable count is held on the drum unit EEPROM, so it follows the unit wherever it goes. If a drum is installed new, then swapped, then returned, the count on the unit remains accurate. The serial number list will show three lines of serial numbers: #1, #2, #1.

Was that clear? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 500+ Posts

U118 gave me:

History 1 N481Y04194XXXX
    x
    History 2 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    X

All other history are blank.

So Blackcat, let me see if I got this. A new drum is installed. No matter how many more drums you put in it, if its not a new drum the count stays the same. As far as the serial numbers, that is in U118? If so, the serial number of the drum presently in the machine is KY5001Y31219 which is whats on the Service Status Page. I don't know how to read the histories listed above. Sorry to be such a pain but we are a small dealership and deal with off-lease machine mostly and I need to get a handle on this to ensure we put out a good machine. Thank you for your help.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Swapping parts protocol

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    U118 gave me:

History 1 N481Y04194XXXX
    x
    History 2 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    X

All other history are blank.

So Blackcat, let me see if I got this. A new drum is installed. No matter how many more drums you put in it, if its not a new drum the count stays the same. As far as the serial numbers, that is in U118? If so, the serial number of the drum presently in the machine is KY5001Y31219 which is whats on the Service Status Page. I don't know how to read the histories listed above. Sorry to be such a pain but we are a small dealership and deal with off-lease machine mostly and I need to get a handle on this to ensure we put out a good machine. Thank you for your help.
    If there is only one serial number in the history, there has only been one drum in the life of the machine.

The count is stored on the drum's EEPROM chip, so whatever machine you put that drum in, it will display the number of copies that have been done on that drum. Let's make an extreme example: We take a new drum unit and make one copy on machine #1, move it to machine #2 and make one copy, move it to machine #3 and make one copy, move it to machine #4 and make one copy.
    Machine #1 will show history #1: ser#12345678, drum count: 1
    Machine #2 will show history #1: ser#12345678, drum count: 2
    Machine #3 will show history #1: ser#12345678, drum count: 3
    Machine #4 will show history #1: ser#12345678, drum count: 4
    The drum count follows the drum unit.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 500+ Posts

Thanks Blackcat. I got it now.