Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ecosys M3550IDN GRINDING NOISE

So I have a M3550idn that is grinding bad and it seems to be around the exit assy. I have tried new fuser, drum, and dv unit! I pulled the exit unit which is no fun at all!! gears look fine and the assy is driven by a stepper motor, not sure if that could be the culprit!! Anyone see this issue before?

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: ecosys M3550IDN GRINDING NOISE

I have a P2135 doing the same thing and I have replaced the exit section so it must either be a batch of bad exit sections(because my noise eventually came back) or its somewhere else in the machine

On a second look...or listen I found a broken gear...remove the main motor and check to the right there is a large gear mine was ringed around the shaft.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

QA F031 adresses the gear on the P2135, but this isn't listed to affect the M3550idn.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Check this service bulletin - 2LV-0061 (F103), had one doing some serious grinding and found this to the the fault. make sure to clean the waste chute in the machine as it will cause further problems. Good luck.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Kyocera FS4200DN, drum change

While on this subject. We have quite a number of these machine out there and one tech had a noise issue and swaped out the drum unit and it worked for a week, then the noise came back. brought it in the shop and i looked at it and sure the noise was there. I Vacumed out the waste toner exit port from the drum unit and the machine. put it back together and worked fine no noise. I ran about 2k pages and noticed the waste toner box level was not moving. so i vacumed out the box and ran another 2k pages, no noise and still not a drop of toner. called our kyocera service rep and he had not heard of the problem.
    Now the waste toner box is very small and the capacity of the toner cartridge is 25k, so my theory was they must be using some kind of new toner and it takes a long time to generate waste and ready the machine for the next cust who it would go to.
    Lo and behold the tech said another machine was making he same noise. So i decided to open up the drum unit and see what was really going on. [ these are rated for 500k ] and was under warranty.
    see the pics as to the cause.
    Blackcat you may have call back soon if this is the gear that you fixed.
    the waste toner screw gear had broken of from the screw shaft and cause the drum exit port toner to get hard like rock as the shaft was not turning. the end of the shaft aslo had a rather bad engineering design where it is rounded and sit tight in a rounded indent.
    I think this was from a m3640i mfp rather than a 4200, but is the same family. But heads up anyway.
    Attached Files

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke