Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FS-3140+ lines

Technician

FS-3140+ lines

We have a machine that was traded in that went through a storm and after the storm it prints horizontal lines approx. 1/8" apart all the way down the page. The image is readable but the lines are there. The odd thing is that if you scan or fax a document, it has the same exact lines on the file so it is not just printing. I assume that the main board took a hit but the only problem this machine has is this line issue. I've never seen anything like it before. I've included a scan of the print. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: FS-3140+ lines

When machines have been through water damage, they should not be put back in service or used for parts. Too much headaches with them, and it may not be right away as corrosion works with time to oxidize the solder joints ect.
    You may have electrical noise caused by with the electronics. If you really want to attempt to fix this, remove all the boards and check the grounding and contact points as a start. The engine pwb sits at the bottom of the unit, so water would settle there nicely and may have caused damage. just my input to your question.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    FS-3140+ lines

You'll probably end up putting more time & money into it than it is worth.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Defective Technician 50+ Posts

I have seen this exact image when the Inverter PCB in the ISU is blown. Take the cover off the ISU and check to see if the Capacitor is cooked. You now can order the Inverter PCB for $54 instead of the whole ISU for $600.00. On the machines I had the problem with the internal prints were fine, just scanned and copies did this. You did not mention how the internal prints were?

Technician

The machine went through an electrical storm. Not water damage. It internal prints and scans with the same problem. I have never seen both of those areas have the same problem. There was other electrical damage throughout the building. I haven't pulled anything apart yet as I didn't know what direction to go. We traded the machine in and I was curious as what happened to it. Thanks for the help.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Based on that scan, i would replace/clean laser first.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Alexkyocera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Money View Post
    We have a machine that was traded in that went through a storm and after the storm it prints horizontal lines approx. 1/8" apart all the way down the page. The image is readable but the lines are there. The odd thing is that if you scan or fax a document, it has the same exact lines on the file so it is not just printing. I assume that the main board took a hit but the only problem this machine has is this line issue. I've never seen anything like it before. I've included a scan of the print. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    IF you have consumable parts, Fuser, Drum DV ect, try replacing those first but this seems to be a board.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've had an enduser get really rough with removing a jam and somehow pulled the registration roller out along with the bushings and springs. They decided they would just set the roller back in place instead of calling us. Well, one of the springs happened to fall through a gap in the plastic and land on the engine board causing erratic shorts and some really strange imaging issues. This included alternating lines/bars and occasionally full black prints. It didn't seem to affect the scanning however.

I have seen this before, on mine the laser unit fixed it.