Thread: Scanning issue

Technician 500+ Posts

Scanning issue

I am having an unusual issue that I have never experienced and thought I would throw this out there in hopes someone has seen this before. I have set up scanning many times before with no issues. Here is my scenario:

Last week I prepared a 4500i for delivery to a customer. I installed a PM kit. I also set up fax forwarding to folder (SMB) here at the shop. Both were successful. I then delivered copier to customer. Installed drivers for printing and faxing. All went well. I then used command center to set up SMB scanning. After setting up the first user for scanning I used command center's test for connection and it was successful. I then go to the machine and do a scan which was not successful. I believe I got an 1102 (it was late Friday). I then go back to PC an do a connection test again and it failed. Now I go to another PC and get the same results. I then go to another PC, set it up, do a connection test which was successful, immediately do another connection test and it failed.

There is no server, just a bunch of PCs. No hardware firewall and tried turning off Windows firewall with no change.

I am totally baffled on this one . I'm going back there this morning in an attempt to resolve this and thought just maybe someone has seen this.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Scanning issue

Re: Scanning issue

ive seen windows updates stop smb scanning...in fact I had one just a couple of weeks back. they rolled back the update and it started working again

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Scanning issue

Make sure you either save with the correct password before testing or reenter the password after testing. Testing seems to clear the password field if it hasn't been saved yet.

Scanning issue

Darry1332 is correct. The early versions of the machines that support the test button would not keep the password in command center when the test button was used, it was only cached in the browser, so when you got a successful test then went to save you were saving a blank password. We have just conditioned ourselves to save before testing. This has been corrected in the new machines.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scanning issue

I've just got into the habit of saving it first, then testing it.
    The latest Windows 10 update does turn on password protected sharing, even if it was off. This shouldn't be your issue however, it wouldn't work
    when testing it.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Scanning issue

Possibly the anti-virus picking up the connection after the first successful ping and then blocking it? I think most programs ping every few minutes, and unless the IP address is allowed it will block it. I have seen eSet do this and Norton 360. Have not seen Defender do it so far.

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Make sure you either save with the correct password before testing or reenter the password after testing. Testing seems to clear the password field if it hasn't been saved yet.
    What darry1322 posted was a problem for me. I was fighting myself on this. I followed the instructions and it worked. In addition to the save password first issue, I had another issue. On page 4 of the attached document, it shows configuring security for the user. I had to actually add the user to this, then configure permissions for the user. All is well now. Thanks everyone for your help and a SPECIAL thanks to darry1322.

Technician 500+ Posts

Might be helpful if I attached the document mentioned in my previous post. .

SMB Win10.pdf

Scanning issue

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    What darry1322 posted was a problem for me. I was fighting myself on this. I followed the instructions and it worked. In addition to the save password first issue, I had another issue. On page 4 of the attached document, it shows configuring security for the user. I had to actually add the user to this, then configure permissions for the user. All is well now. Thanks everyone for your help and a SPECIAL thanks to darry1322.

I spent about an hour one morning trying to figure this out. Local IT guy remoted in and checked everything was OK on the server. I was about ready to just call tech support when I tried saving before testing and it worked. That's when I figured it must not be keeping the password after a test connection.