Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

5505ci Skewing from all trays

Good evening everyone. Been to a double recall today to sort out a skewing problem. Had already checked out this forum before attending. Found various possible causes. Very good! The 2 previous engineers had failed to resolve the issue and one of them had "played" with the laser adjustment plate without marking the original position! Anyhoo, I checked out the side door tension rollers on the top door, everything ok there! Checked the registration roller springs and again they were ok. Checked the final set of relay rollers, the ones on the inside part of the bypass assembly. There are 2 sets of 2 tensioned rollers and I noticed that the tension of the 2 sets of springs were very noticeably different, one set weaker than the other. Hmmmmm! this machine has only 100k on it! So I stripped them out and "re tensioned" the 2 weaker springs, refitted and tested. Problem solved!! Machine was off like a dirty shirt, true as an arrow, zero skew from any tray!! I am no expert on Kyocera machines but have had no end of problems with these variants, dev units, drums, charge rollers and fusers failing prematurely , and yes we use original toners before that chestnut rears it's ugly head. So then I gets me laptop out to order 4 new springs only to find that the part numbers for them are different!!! What the hell is going on! Call me picky but the door relay rollers are evenly tensioned for the obvious reason of feeding paper straight and the reg roller is evenly tensioned, again for the same obvious reason. so why would the final relay roller idle rollers be tensioned unevenly front to rear???? Who designed this abomination? Hmmm! Let's make the paper come out of the trays straight then just before the reg rollers we will skew it against the final relay rollers and then miraculously hope that the reg rollers will level it up again!!! Ha- Ha!! Never gonna happen! Got back to the office and checked out some new ones in the showroom and guess what, they are all the same. They all have a skew on them of around 1.5 to 2.0mm. Don't know what the acceptable tolerance is, don't really care! So beware, if you want a machine that doesn't skew

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: 5505ci Skewing from all trays

Not sure what a 5505ci is but if its close to a 5550ci I would be looking at the transfer belt assy, they do fail and sometimes the registration clutch will start screwing up and cause the reg roller to not turn freely..

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If it were me, I'd find out which of those two different springs is stronger, then stock a handful of those, installing them as matched sets. Your theory is correct. The pressure must be similar or it will skew.

On previous models like the Falcon III and VoyagerE, the manufacturer made up to 3 places to install pressure springs for those door idlers. Three springs is too much pressure, but the modified (slightly longer) springs work quite nicely in two of the locations.

If this is an Alphard I (KM-5500i, KM5550ci) or Alphard II (KM5501i, KM-5551ci) it's very common to see that skew. The manufacturer made some skew adjustment in the paper tray base, but for the most part it cannot compensate. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 10-22-2016 at 02:16 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I know the exact idle rollers. I was convinced it caused my skew. I wasn't going to tear it apart I was going to swap it. Then, like you, I found the tension was the off on my parts machine. Soo..I adjusted the loop timing to help...a little

Luckily for me the customer wasn't complaining. It was just bothering me.

Kyocera skew quite a bit. One think I like about Sharp is that skewing is really not a problem at all body or adf.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've never noticed any skew issues with these & we've sold quite a few. I'm not sure why those springs have different pressure, but if you look at the holder, the rear springs with more pressure break the holder & rub against the frame. You should notice white dust from the roller. We always replaced the rear holder & springs with the ones from the front. The do have new holders out with hooks to contain the shafts so they don't break. I can dig up the bulletin if it's not updated in the parts guide.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    I've never noticed any skew issues with these & we've sold quite a few. I'm not sure why those springs have different pressure, but if you look at the holder, the rear springs with more pressure break the holder & rub against the frame. You should notice white dust from the roller. We always replaced the rear holder & springs with the ones from the front. The do have new holders out with hooks to contain the shafts so they don't break. I can dig up the bulletin if it's not updated in the parts guide.
    I guess I notice the skew because I always look at that bottom line of the status page and kind of cringe when it's off

Angry Re: 5505ci Skewing from all trays

Sell them a KM

...makes sense that it's the tension springs since the print is skewing from ALL four trays!

With Ricoh machines, I've seen it skew in the finisher before stapling which then causes a mis-staple--crooked, or a complete jam in the staple tray!

Good Work Sherlock!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Technician

had similar problems,the tech bulletin with the white rollers on sidedoor ,new improved bracket with axle always got any skewing fixed for me if guides on cassette was not off.cant believe a trained utax/kyocera engineer adjusted lsu without marking position first.