Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

I have a 4551ci, that started getting intermittent errors when scanning SMB. The first thing was to change the scanning to a different PC, since the errors are regarding writing & memory. After that didn't work, calling the hotline had me replace machine memory & then HDD. Scanning was changed to the IP address with no affect. I've done firmware etc, but still get the error intermittently. I'm trying to escalate the problem with Kyocera, but thought someone might have seen this somewhere.
    The only instance I can find of the 7101 is in the 420i/520i service manual. The hotline said it wasn't a valid scanning code until I sent them a picture. 2201 is the predominant error they get now.
    Thanks for any input.
    7101.jpg
    Last edited by tmaged; 12-21-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

Re: 2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

Hi Tony,
    Is the unit scanning directly to a PC or is it scanning to a network drive on a server? Are we in a domain network or peer to peer? We had a similar problem with a state machine [not the same model] awhile back that would throw 2201 codes intermittently. On normal traffic days everything worked fine, when network traffic increased it was being offloaded to another server that the username/password they were using was not viable on and the server rejected it. Is the folder the unit is trying to scan to have a sufficient memory quota on it? If the folder size is exceeding a limit placed on it by an administrator it could also create the 2201 code. Hope this helps.

2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

Thanks for the reply. I did try setting it up to the IP address instead of the hostname to eliminate a DNS issue. Today I went back for another issue & tried a new cable, different jack & changing speeds on the NIC.
    No server involved, just the same error on two different PC's. This folder is also shared with Dropbox. My next step is to switch it to a regular share without Dropbox watching it, to see if that matters. The first thing I checked was free disk space & it's good.
    I think I'll also run a continuous ping to see if it's dropping packets. When I got back with the hotline, they said 2201 is a timeout related error, but there's nowhere to adjust the timeout for SMB that I can find.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Are you still seeing any 7101 errors? It's possible you have two issues and fixed the 7101 by replacing memory/HDD.

If you still get any 7101 errors, I'd be surprised if it isn't still somehow related to memory allocation. It's unlikely that a code reference, even an older one, would change.

edit: Are they heavily traffic'ed folders? I'm not entirely sure how Dropbox reads/writes but it may be possible that it's hitting a user limit on share access.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CoreyAbels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    I have a 4551ci, that started getting intermittent errors when scanning SMB. The first thing was to change the scanning to a different PC, since the errors are regarding writing & memory. After that didn't work, calling the hotline had me replace machine memory & then HDD. Scanning was changed to the IP address with no affect. I've done firmware etc, but still get the error intermittently. I'm trying to escalate the problem with Kyocera, but thought someone might have seen this somewhere.
    The only instance I can find of the 7101 is in the 420i/520i service manual. The hotline said it wasn't a valid scanning code until I sent them a picture. 2201 is the predominant error they get now.
    Thanks for any input.
    7101.jpg
    Did you resolve this issue? If so, what was your resolution? I have a 3051ci having the same exact issue. Scanning to SMB, intermittent 7101 Send Error, multiple destinations.Thanks!

2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

Sorry Corey, I did not. I ended up installing Pinpoint scan 3 with the Dropbox connector, & haven't had an issue. I'm guessing it was hardware related, since it did it to multiple PC's & when we brought the machine back to our office, I was able to get it to error there.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

you may check the scan port smb settings were updated on windows so port 445 works best

Quote Originally Posted by mita View Post
    you may check the scan port smb settings were updated on windows so port 445 works best
    Changing the scan port did not work. I have a new machine TA 3552ci giving a 7101 error. I have been doing this a long time and have never seen a 7101 error.

Any one else resolve this issue?

2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

My customer stopped using Dropbox recently. We went back to SMB and are getting the 2201 errors again. I thought it seemed to be related to SMB directly to the Dropbox folders, but it's not. FTP is our next option.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    2201 or 7101 Scan Errors

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    My customer stopped using Dropbox recently. We went back to SMB and are getting the 2201 errors again. I thought it seemed to be related to SMB directly to the Dropbox folders, but it's not. FTP is our next option.
    What operating system are they using? We had a customer just a few days ago using Win10 that did an update that crashed their scanning. Other units on the network that had not upgraded were not affected. They use Windows Defender/Firewall. What we learned was the upgrade disabled File and Printer Sharing SMB in the Firewall rules settings as well as network discovery via UDP. You may want to take a look at these settings 2201 usually means the machine cannot find the host or the shared file folder, because it is being blocked. Is the folder that the unit scanning to shared using advanced sharing or just basic sharing? Win7 on it makes a difference.