Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician 500+ Posts

U917 Setting backup data reading/writing

I am going to do my first U917 in the field soon. I did an experiment in the shop to one machine with one entry in the address book and everything went well. It only took seconds to export/import. In the field I know there will be more information than just one address book entry. I thought it best to ask those who are more familiar with this as to how large a thumb-drive I should use? Also to be safe would it be best to select everything to back up even though they may not need it? When you did yours how long did they take?

My plan is to do all machines as I go to them. Leave a file with the customer and keep one for myself. I recently had a hard drive die and had to redo the address book. Don't want to do that again.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: U917 Setting backup data reading/writing

Gather as much info as you can. The files are very small, but can take a long time to recreate when a drive fails. The newer models allow all the network settings etc to be backed up as well.
    As for the drive, you shouldn't have trouble with anything under 8gb. Too large & some machines may not recognize them.
    The setup tool will convert the data to other models, making machine replacement easier.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    I am going to do my first U917 in the field soon. I did an experiment in the shop to one machine with one entry in the address book and everything went well. It only took seconds to export/import. In the field I know there will be more information than just one address book entry. I thought it best to ask those who are more familiar with this as to how large a thumb-drive I should use? Also to be safe would it be best to select everything to back up even though they may not need it? When you did yours how long did they take?

My plan is to do all machines as I go to them. Leave a file with the customer and keep one for myself. I recently had a hard drive die and had to redo the address book. Don't want to do that again.
    We never use a thumb drive over 2GB for backups, that is more than you need. Even units that have a lot of entries it only takes a short while to backup, the longest I can remember it taking is 30-40 seconds. All our backups are with everything, you never know! One thing the 917 backup does not store is if you have setup the machine to pull emails from a pop3 account and print them, this info would have to be re-entered. Otherwise it works well and saves a lot of time.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

They're very small files, 10KB at largest. You cannot rename the files for your convenience. The names must stay the same.

The most obscene example was 4998 job account ID's on CS-C4035E. It took 25 minutes to load, and often failed. The official limit was 5000 ID's, but in practice it often failed around 4985. The best part was that after 3 days of data entry, and setting this up on a couple of machines, the chief accountant thought it was too cumbersome, and had me turn it off.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post

The address book and the backup should be customer's responsibility. However manufacturers have no simple solution and don't follow any standards when it comes to the address books. The utilities are cumbersome and unpredictable. .. Most of the time it comes down to typing everything all over again. Sorry to discourage you but be prepared. NetViewer for Admin might be your best bet.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Technician 500+ Posts

As always, thanks everyone for your response. I feel much better about this now. Practiced in the shop on the export and import. Worked great. Now I can do this in the field with more confidence.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have had "problems" with the U917 with the newer machines. As I found out, it is only to RE-INSTATE the data for that very same machine with that same serial in the event that a hard drive starts failing and needs to be replaced. I tried copying from an older 01 series to a newer 02 series, but alas, no go! To really copy the parameters and address book from an old machine to a newer machine correctly, I found out from a Kyocera representative that you HAVE TO use KM Net Viewer!...also if you do this, you will need to make sure that the NIC on the copier is set to auto negotiate ethernet speed when using a crossover cable to your laptop!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    I have had "problems" with the U917 with the newer machines. As I found out, it is only to RE-INSTATE the data for that very same machine with that same serial in the event that a hard drive starts failing and needs to be replaced. I tried copying from an older 01 series to a newer 02 series, but alas, no go! To really copy the parameters and address book from an old machine to a newer machine correctly, I found out from a Kyocera representative that you HAVE TO use KM Net Viewer!...also if you do this, you will need to make sure that the NIC on the copier is set to auto negotiate ethernet speed when using a crossover cable to your laptop!

You can also use the Setup tool, which is pretty intuitive and quick now.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    You can also use the Setup tool, which is pretty intuitive and quick now.
    Setup tool?...please do enlighten me on that one!...do both machines have to be "in place" for it to work?....If so, that wouldn't work in my situation since there is physically not any room at the client's place, or they don't have an additional network jack. Therefore the crossover cable to laptop and use of KM Net Viewer!

PS--we are talking about copying system settings and address book....correct?
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

setup tool works great for the address book and one touch. I use it when I get a notice from sales that gives me time to go to the customer machine and do 917 then bring that back to the shop and use the setup tool to convert to the new machine and use 917 to load the address book and one touch into the new machine. That makes it easier on installation day when the new machine is delivered with the address book done. Getting the network status prints when I get the 917 info gives me what I need to load network settings ahead of time as well. The new machine usually works fine after the swap giving me time to just go around and update drivers.

If I don't get advance notice, I've used KMNet Viewer to do the move.