Thread: HDD reuse?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

HDD reuse?

Hi all

Has anyone successfully reformatted and used a HDD on a P.C. after a 0640 error if yes, how?. What I understand most 0640 are a software failure/burp and not hardware.

Thanks all...

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Re: HDD reuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi all

Has anyone successfully reformatted and used a HDD on a P.C. after a 0640 error if yes, how?. What I understand most 0640 are a software failure/burp and not hardware.

Thanks all...
    We have several times. No re-calls as far as I know.

If one fails, we will put a used one in that previously failed on another machine. We delete all partitions and format it using a PC. When it's put into the Kyocera it automatically partitions it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi all

Thanks all...
    Hey there.

Using a HDD from a copier, formatting it and then use it in a PC, yes i have done that before. Using a HDD with error 0640? You going to have to try it and let us know.

Just to get clarity, is the question specifically relating to using a "faulty" HDD from copier (with said error) in a PC or using HDD from copier in PC (generally speaking)? (you asked "how" - i just want to determine if the "how" relates to the error on the HDD or "how to do it" (with any HDD)

Cheers

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtheflea View Post
    Hey there.

Using a HDD from a copier, formatting it and then use it in a PC, yes i have done that before. Using a HDD with error 0640? You going to have to try it and let us know.

Just to get clarity, is the question specifically relating to or using HDD from copier using a "faulty" HDD from copier (with said error) in a PC in PC (generally speaking)? (you asked "how" - i just want to determine if the "how" relates to the error on the HDD or "how to do it" (with any HDD)

Cheers
    Sorry
    I have several HDD's that were replaced because of a C 060 error code. What I understand, is that a C060 ,most of the time is software and not a hardware issue. . So to answer your question ...what I want to do is "using a "faulty" HDD from copier (with said error) in a PC .

Cheers...

Hi Geo.

the procedure i followed was as follow (typing from memory here so forgive me if i miss something). (I saw a thread earlier today about this but for the life of me i cannot find it now...)

Hook the HDD up to the PC. Go to Windows Explorer (assuming that you use Windows), Right click on Computer and click on Manage. Under the Storage menu click on Disk Management. (Here is where it is starting to get a bit blurry) but if memory serves me right you must either partition the Copier HDD or set it to become active. Wow, feel like a bit of a tit for not being able to give you more accurate description.

If you can give me a couple of hours i can do it when i get home (i still have an old HDD from a copier that i want to prepare for PC use - i've been delaying that for some time now (time vs want - if i have time i dont want to do it and if i want to do it i dont have time...lol)

Try poking around there and lemme know and i will also do my bit when i get back home and provide you with more accurate info.

PS, if anyone knows of another way to do the same please do share.
    PSS, when you get this done please report back and let us know if you came right with the "faulty" HDDs.

Cheers man.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The HDD currently in use on the computer being used to type this message came from a errored unit. It was a dual hdd, and only one of the drives was bad.
    I usually take them out, hook them up to an external sata-usb converter and then run a few tools that look at the SMART data, as well as scan for read/write of the whole disc. The SMART stats interpreted by on online analyzer tool usually tells me what I need to know(high sector reallocation-counts or excessive startup delay). Very seldom are the drives actually dead, but too slow being busy reading weak sectors to be useful to the copier.

I REALLY wish that KYOcera would implement SMART monitoring of the HDD's so that they can give errors or other warning PRIOR to failure so the data can be saved or salvaged somehow.
    Also KYO could write a tool to extract data from failing HDD packs so that it can be recovered onto the machine after repair so that the uptime can be improved by relieving the customer IT from having to manually restore address books and other lost settings.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    HDD reuse?

Yes, however you need to delete the partition using say FDSIK, create a new partition then format, that is the best way to ensure the HDD is still usable.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk