Thread: Color Kyocera's

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Color Kyocera's

I have heard mixed feelings about Kyocera color copiers and I am hoping you can tell me what the better models are? I mostly sell used Canon color but since Ikon was bought by Ricoh there doesn't seem to a good supply of lower mileage Canon around. Most of my customer base would be in the 25-35 copies per minute category.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Color Kyocera's

Re: Color Kyocera's

Are you looking at new or used ? The Saturn series (250ci-500ci) was decent. The Alphard I (3050ci-5550ci) was good & the Alphard II (3051ci-5551ci) was better. The new boxes are good top to bottom. Run fast from the older A4 color FS-C2126mfp etc.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Color Kyocera's

I gave up on the kyocera Saturn series. They always seem to have weird problems. I have a few that run very well (as long as they are low volume) others have been nothing but a headache. I have never liked how you have to pull everything out just to get to the drum and developer units the color quality isn't nearly as good as other machines. On the bright side you can pick them up for dirt cheap so if you have to part one out to fix another you're not out very much money. Hopefully the newer machines are better but I haven't had a chance to work on them

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Haha the Saturn series was simply an engineering bridge between the old and new technology, many problems. The alphard 1 & 2 are solid but still with some quirky issues, that being said, I still refurbish the a-2 models for resale, not so much the a-1. I found the 6052ci series to be an amazing jump in tech level. I think they are the leaders in the clubhouse. Yes, I am a kyo guy, but I am certified in canon, sharp, xerox, OKI, Ricoh and I can say that they are the only manufacturer to truly reengineer their line, not just redesign certain aspects of their existing line. I think you are safe in going with kyo boxes for color. The toner itself for the 6052 series is new tech as well...

~Big Dan
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Color Kyocera's

Up until the last group of machines, the color quality of Kyocera has been ... well, embarrassing. A $1K Lexmark could generally do better. But this last line of machines is vastly betting in color quality.

I am philosophically opposed to the most recent "no tools" approach to service. I think we're going to find drums sitting out in the room light 5 days later, because an enduser could not figure out how to get it back in, or didn't consider the possibility that it might be bad for the drum. The Sharp Tiger series is a good example. How many of you have gone out to find the developing unit in the trash can, and an enduser waving around a toner cartridge, saying: "it doesn't fit ..."? Or the fuser unit with the front side bashed in. "It it just fell out all by itself..., really! I didn't drop it! That burn on my hand? Oh, I got it ... um, smoking."

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Saturn series was absolute and utter tripe. I still get nightmares. Alphard II and newer machines are a lot better, the brand new Colour boxes seem to run well and in the increased resolution brings it up to date with other makes. I'm with blackcat about the ease at which parts are removed for service and replacement etc. without tools. Let hope the end users don't figure it out Color Kyocera's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daveh12 View Post
    The Saturn series was absolute and utter tripe. I still get nightmares. Alphard II and newer machines are a lot better, the brand new Colour boxes seem to run well and in the increased resolution brings it up to date with other makes. I'm with blackcat about the ease at which parts are removed for service and replacement etc. without tools. Let hope the end users don't figure it out Color Kyocera's

I've found that proper training of customers tends to keep them out of my copiers, that and my first hefty bill for overstepping their technical responsibilities.
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daveh12 View Post

Yep, totally agree Saturn series (TA250ci etc ) and prior were horrible in every way.
    If your looking second hand to resell try and get hold of Alphard 2 series, TA 3051, 3551 4551ci etc. pretty well sorted machine
    Guess you won't see the new generation second hand for a few years but I'd be happy with one of those in my workshop for the kids to do their homework projects with. Color Kyocera's