Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

TA-8001i J5018 duplex jam

So, I've got a relatively new 8001i with about 750k pages on it getting fairly regular J5018 codes on duplexing. Not to be confused with a J0518.

The manual says it's a BRCS2 non-arrival jam, but BRCS2 looks fine to me. The spring seems to have good tension on it to return it to it's home position before the next page hits it. Furthermore, if the sensor, flag, or spring was the issue I would think it would happen on single sided printing as well. I can make several hundred simplex pages without issue. If I duplex, I'm lucky to get through 20 pages before it jams.

I searched the forum, and found little to nothing on this issue. Has anyone seen this before? My gut tells me it's an exit unit issue, but I thought I'd seek another opinion before just throwing parts at the machine.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: TA-8001i J5018 duplex jam

The exit unit is definitely a safe bet. I wasn't getting J5018 but recurring J4918 from duplex copies and the exit unit fixed it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

If simplex is working ok and it only happens when duplexing I would look at the rollers in the duplex section and switchback. The code indicates that the page is not getting to the bridge sensor in the allotted time, late arrival. When you have the jam, where is the page located? Has it even made it into the bridge unit? If simplex is ok then the sensors and flags in the bridge unit itself are ok as they correctly being triggered within the time window. It could be just dirty rollers in the duplex section or switchback slipping enough to eventually causing the late arrival. You could also have a clutch starting to go in those areas causing the delay in moving the paper in the desired direction. the exit/switchback section would be a really good place to start.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

also another place to look is the reg roller. I start getting all sorts of odd ball jams it seems around the 750k and once replaced they go away

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    If simplex is working ok and it only happens when duplexing I would look at the rollers in the duplex section and switchback. The code indicates that the page is not getting to the bridge sensor in the allotted time, late arrival. When you have the jam, where is the page located? Has it even made it into the bridge unit? If simplex is ok then the sensors and flags in the bridge unit itself are ok as they correctly being triggered within the time window. It could be just dirty rollers in the duplex section or switchback slipping enough to eventually causing the late arrival. You could also have a clutch starting to go in those areas causing the delay in moving the paper in the desired direction. the exit/switchback section would be a really good place to start.

So, I went ahead and stuck with my gut. Got the exit unit in today. When I unboxed it, one of the plastic mounting brackets had broken off during transit. >_<

I didn't want to be dinged for a reschedule, and I already had the customers exit unit out. So I took the switchback section off of the exit unit, and observed just how chalky the switchback conveying rollers were. I cleaned them up really well, and reassembled the machine. Tested with 300 duplex pages, and all is well. I was just going to replace it because the machine is on warranty for another two years.

Anyway, slippery switchback conveying rollers were the problem. Machine was put in place on April 16 2016. The customer had done about 550k duplex jobs in the last year.

Good luck, folks! =)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xferunit View Post
    So, I went ahead and stuck with my gut. Got the exit unit in today. When I unboxed it, one of the plastic mounting brackets had broken off during transit. >_<

I didn't want to be dinged for a reschedule, and I already had the customers exit unit out. So I took the switchback section off of the exit unit, and observed just how chalky the switchback conveying rollers were. I cleaned them up really well, and reassembled the machine. Tested with 300 duplex pages, and all is well. I was just going to replace it because the machine is on warranty for another two years.

Anyway, slippery switchback conveying rollers were the problem. Machine was put in place on April 16 2016. The customer had done about 550k duplex jobs in the last year.

Good luck, folks! =)
    Glad you got the problem solved, a good day for you!! The chalky substance is just accumulated paper dust. I have had some that after soaking them with a cleaner, I had to use a pocket knife to scrap it off and make it work. The rollers are still good, it is just the accumulation makes them like bald tires on ice.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Glad you got the problem solved, a good day for you!! The chalky substance is just accumulated paper dust. I have had some that after soaking them with a cleaner, I had to use a pocket knife to scrap it off and make it work. The rollers are still good, it is just the accumulation makes them like bald tires on ice.
    Indeed it does! I've actually had it built up so badly on both conveying and idle rollers on older machines that I had to pull out the scotch brite and scrub the hell out of them in order to resurface them...but it works. Can save you in parts usage if you're willing to get a little dirty.

This machine is only a year old, but it's fairy high usage, snd 550k duplex out of 745k total pages. They duplex quite often.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Keep an eye out for 4913, 4914 jams. The manual will tell you that they're bridge unit jams, but it's the exit sensor flag that's worn flat, and throwing off the timing. You'll see it as early as 750K. One made it to 1.2M.

Thanks for the good information. =^,,^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Keep an eye out for 4913, 4914 jams. The manual will tell you that they're bridge unit jams, but it's the exit sensor flag that's worn flat, and throwing off the timing. You'll see it as early as 750K. One made it to 1.2M.

Thanks for the good information. =^,,^=
    Thanks Blackcat. Yeah, I've seen several of those sensor flags get worn down. The one between the LCC, and main unit does that and starts throwing either 1403/1404, if I'm not mistaken. I've had success with just bowing out the sheet metal which houses the flag, so that the paper collides with it again. Had a machine that started doing that at about 2.5mil, and it's now up to 4mil and still rocking along! If it was under warranty, I'd just change out the part...but when it's off warranty, I try to remedy a problem without replacing the part. As long as it actually fixes the issue, instead of just hiding it or kicking the can down the road.