Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ecosys M6535 CIDN Paper Tray issue

Ecosys M6535 CIDN

Machine has 2 paper trays plus bypass. When paper is full it is fine when it gets to about a 1/4 tray left it says it is empty. The motor lifts but paper does not register.
    This top paper tray is a little hard to close, but since the motor lifts I don't think this is part of the problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ecosys M6535 CIDN Paper Tray issue

I had to replace the paper detect actuator and spring to resolve this on one of these machines. Everything looked fine with old actuator but would not work until replaced with new.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Is there a loud click or "clunk" when paper tray is inserted, or when the tray gets to 1/4 level? I've had the lift gear break, making it difficult to close tray and false empty condition. better eat your Wheaties AND pack a lunch if this is the case ... you're in for a half-day procedure.
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ecosys M6535 CIDN  Paper Tray issue

how do you replace the actuator and spring...

looked like a beast to me...

Quote Originally Posted by scottybbb View Post
    I had to replace the paper detect actuator and spring to resolve this on one of these machines. Everything looked fine with old actuator but would not work until replaced with new.
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Quote Originally Posted by The_Murph View Post
    Is there a loud click or "clunk" when paper tray is inserted, or when the tray gets to 1/4 level? I've had the lift gear break, making it difficult to close tray and false empty condition. better eat your Wheaties AND pack a lunch if this is the case ... you're in for a half-day procedure.
    We cheat and just replace the driven cassette with the spring loaded style. Works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    We cheat and just replace the driven cassette with the spring loaded style. Works just fine
    That's a good idea. What tray do you use in place of it? We have had this issue of the broken gear in several of the machines. I KNOW this is not by the book by any-means but our shop tech started to dremel out the plastic where that lift gear is located. He dremels out the plastic, removes the gear and replaces with a new gear and puts the piece of plastic back in place and this has worked with no issues. I'm sure Kyocera would frown upon this method... I did at first, too... but it works. The advantage to his method is if it breaks again out in the field it is basically a 10 min. fix. But, I think the tray idea is much better.
    I've had to replace the spring and actuator as well.. it's a pain! Bring the MFP back to the shop and give yourself all day.

you can use the CT-3100 instead of the CT-3130, you have to snip off a little nub on the left side

but i think we hijacked this thread because none of this concerns the m6535 model

spring loaded tray...

hot damn... I love you people...

ok....

I did not have the benefit of the knowledge here... so here is what I did...

I ordered a tray... the roller assemblies... and the spring...

fitted the tray... fitted the roller assemblies and could not get see getting the spring in without taking appart the frame...

so I did a little engineering...

since I had the old tray... I could play with it since its destined for the trash... I began playing...

1. used a chisel to remove the plastic that holds the metal tongue of the tray down on the right...
    2. bend the thin piece of metal attached to the tray on the right till it sits vertical... (not the T but a small piece of metal on the right attached to the T)
    3. make sure the metal tongue that rises moves freely which means chisel off as much plastic from the guide on right as needed.
    4. twist the T part of the metal tongue so that the left side is angled higher.. this way it hits the sensor arm...
    5. test it...
    6. you know you are done... when the machine will copy with 1 sheet or 50 without jamming...

personally I like the suggestion of the spring loaded tray... its a lot more elegant than my solution...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Murph View Post
    Hi, I can’t see in the service manual how to replace the lift gear and wanted to ask if you could let me know how to do it?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If it's built like the FS-4100DN, you'll need to remove the power supply and network card from the right outer frame to access the three screws securing the right cassette rail. From the bottom, you'll remove the cross-braces, duplex guides, and tray feed assy before the rail can be wiggled out of there. It would be a good idea to have all the consumables out of it, since at various times it will be laying on it's back, or it's top, or it's side. I had two hours into it before it was re-assembled.

Does that help? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=