Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

m2535dn stopped scanning to gmail

I have a customer that had scanning to email through a gmail account suddenly stop working. Tech support remoted in and said is was a networking issue. Customer was convinced that it was our machine. To prove it, I brought his old machine, which was scanning perfectly when it was replaced, and it failed also. This created a conversation with his ISP which lasted 3 hours to determine the wireless router was bad/conflicting/incompatible. Replaced the router today but still won't scan. I've tried SSL/TLS over port 465 (which is how it always worked in the past), receives a error 4803. STATTLS through port 587 which gives a 2201. A whole slew of different combinations of port 25, 2525, 8025, 923. I cannot get this thing to go through. Gmail server is smtp.gmail.com and the account has 2 step verification off and allow less secure apps on. I've been working on this for 2 days and all resources come to a dead end. Any ideas, or maybe a work around at this point to solve this issue? (Scanning to smb or usb is not an option, customer is used to a one button scan and forget about it)

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: m2535dn stopped scanning to gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Copystar Tech View Post
    I have a customer that had scanning to email through a gmail account suddenly stop working. Tech support remoted in and said is was a networking issue. Customer was convinced that it was our machine. To prove it, I brought his old machine, which was scanning perfectly when it was replaced, and it failed also. This created a conversation with his ISP which lasted 3 hours to determine the wireless router was bad/conflicting/incompatible. Replaced the router today but still won't scan. I've tried SSL/TLS over port 465 (which is how it always worked in the past), receives a error 4803. STATTLS through port 587 which gives a 2201. A whole slew of different combinations of port 25, 2525, 8025, 923. I cannot get this thing to go through. Gmail server is smtp.gmail.com and the account has 2 step verification off and allow less secure apps on. I've been working on this for 2 days and all resources come to a dead end. Any ideas, or maybe a work around at this point to solve this issue? (Scanning to smb or usb is not an option, customer is used to a one button scan and forget about it)

doesn't google use port 8080?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I was basing ports on this article:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Gmail's Default SMTP Settings
    Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
    Gmail SMTP username: Your Gmail address (e.g. example@gmail.com)
    Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
    Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
    Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465
    Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

You might also look into the DNS settings on the copier. I've had issues in the past that changing the DNS to Google's settings..

(8.8.8.8 Primary- 8.8.4.4 Secondary) has helped.

...good luck.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On some machines, for reasons I don't understand, it's necessary to login to the Google account using a computer, and alter the POP mail settings so that Google will allow remote access to the account from "less secure apps" as per https://productforums.google.com/for...8/_YOot9HvAwAJ

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Is the Gmail account active?

Certain of my customers do not ever access the gmail account. Between 90 and 100 days of inactivity the account goes inactive. When you try to log on, they put you through a text/cellphone security procedure to re-activate the account.

You would think that after three times in a year these customers could learn how to log onto Gmail and delete off the junk emails. That's all that you have to do to keep the free account active.

Naturally, they ask me what their login and password are. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

He wants to use his everyday email account so definitely active. I also have used my own, which works perfectly fine from within my office on a similar machine. Doesn't seem to be the gmail account. Limits it to the router, or ISP. Can a router be blocking my SSL?

Technician

Try aspmx.l.google.com for smtp server and port 25 with any sending address. should work with DNS entry as googles

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Copystar Tech View Post
    He wants to use his everyday email account so definitely active. I also have used my own, which works perfectly fine from within my office on a similar machine. Doesn't seem to be the gmail account. Limits it to the router, or ISP. Can a router be blocking my SSL?
    Have you tried your GMail account on-site? or a different smtp server on-site? Keep isolating.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

try gmail ip address instead of hostname 173.194.74.100