Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    M2535dn  mystery gear noise?

M2535dn mystery gear noise?

I went to a call for a grinding noise on an M2535dn, inspected drum and developing units, transfer roller and toner cartridge...all good. Next, I removed the fuser and ran it with the fuser out...no noise, so I assumed the fuser was the culprit and replaced it, and; as soon as the MFP started going through the warm up cycle, it started with the same noise... the best way I can describe it is almost like some gear is not seated fully and is noisy, no skipping- caused by missing or worn teeth, moreover,all gears look good visually and not causing any issues besides NOISE! The MFP only has 40k on it, so it is not needing the maintenance kit and when I ran it without the fuser in place, the main drive sounds normal. I thought maybe the spring loaded fuser drive gear on the main drive assembly needed some lube... but no dice. I searched KDA Connect and did not see any bulletins for this issue.
    I couldn't pick up the MFP today but am going back with a loaner tomorrow because I have a feeling I may have to start tearing it apart. I thinking maybe something in the exit assembly is causing this but not sure, just some deductive reasoning at this point. Has anybody come across this issue on this MFP?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: M2535dn mystery gear noise?

You might check the drum shaft ground on each drum unit. I've heard some very intermittent noises from those. Conductive grease is best for that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Your on the right track with the exit assembly. Going back to a unit tomorrow for the exact symptoms you describe. If you watch the exit rollers while running a copy you will see that they skip and do not run smoothly. If it is not already jamming it will shortly. We have had a number of the exit units fail due to the solenoid, sometimes they make a grinding noise when the solenoid gets stuck half way and will allow the exit assembly to try and reverse direction like it is duplexing. Not a difficult fix but it is time consuming as you have to take the scanner off and remove the main board to get to a screw to remove it from the frame. We normally would remove it the the shop so we can have the room to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Your on the right track with the exit assembly. Going back to a unit tomorrow for the exact symptoms you describe. If you watch the exit rollers while running a copy you will see that they skip and do not run smoothly. If it is not already jamming it will shortly. We have had a number of the exit units fail due to the solenoid, sometimes they make a grinding noise when the solenoid gets stuck half way and will allow the exit assembly to try and reverse direction like it is duplexing. Not a difficult fix but it is time consuming as you have to take the scanner off and remove the main board to get to a screw to remove it from the frame. We normally would remove it the the shop so we can have the room to work.
    Does not sound like fun, but I am up for the challenge, it is usually the case with these small boxes, a part located in a hard to get to spot. I will post my results.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You might also have a look at this QA COM-0331 (F031). We have seen a few of these. Check your serial numbers to see if it qualifies.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yep, it's either fuser drive gear or exit solenoid assembly.

I've personally never seen that specific gear cause a problem, but I've had a handful of exit assembly problems so I would tend to lean towards that area. There are two pinch tabs on a protusion that hold the solenoid extension arm in place. One (or both) tend to break off giving that arm some lateral movement, which allows either simplex or duplex gear to jump teeth.

edit: There is a bulletin for this apparantly. QA G065 2PG 0010. And my off-the-cuff terminology isn't very accurate. It's called a fulcrum boss!

It turned out to be a a gear sheared off of its shaft in the fuser drive assembly (302H431080), located next to the drive assembly with the motor. I have ordered the gear and waiting on it.
    I noticed the feed/p/u rollers rollers are next to bald as well. I have a question for you blackcat... Do you know if the Kyocera rollers on this model crossover to a Konica Minolta equivalent that may last longer?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    ... I have a question for you blackcat... Do you know if the Kyocera rollers on this model crossover to a Konica Minolta equivalent that may last longer?
    Yes and Yes. But stick with the OEM orange feed and sep, and the gray ribbed pickups. The green Katun substitutions are no better than the original Kyocera rollers. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=