Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

Thumbs up CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

CS300i with multiple feint lines in feed direction whether using doc feeder or glass. So if feeding landscape (short way) lines appear horizontal
    when reading copy. When feeding long way(reduction way) and you read the copy the lines are vertical.

The customer says this is brand new drum. Customer also says started happening when they changed toner,which is generic.
    What is the chance that generic toner could cause lines on this model. I was leaning toward drum unit until customer assured me it was
    new. is charge roller part of drum unit on this machine or separate. I have only worked on doc feeder on this model and want to go prepared. In meantime I will look to purchase/download service manual.

Your help is appreciated very much. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

Frank, first isolate it to print engine or copy - make internal prints either through maint. mode or just print out status pages and see if the light lines are on them. My guess is yes, because generic toner can and will cause this problem. If the toner is clumpy, it will not flow correctly across the mag roller (developing unit) and cause the issue you are seeing. Pull the developing unit out and see if you notice light areas on the mage roller in the vertical direction, even rotate the roller if you can do this from the drive gear. Normally, the direction of the mag. roller face should turn downward.

Thumbs up Re: CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

Thank you CWP. There is another issue. I went there and ran a copy and stopped machine so as to see if line were before fuser.
    The copy stopped with a third of the paper in thru fuser. I pulled the paper out from bottom. After that I started getting creases in copies.
    I took out fuser but did not notice anything unusual as I turned it manually. I put fuser back in machine and also changed paper which was good (Hammermill)
    paper. It started working more reliably.but customer has called to say every 5 or 6 pages there is a creased sheet. Did I cause this by pulling paper
    out of fuser from bottom. It doesn't seem logical after having removed papers from all kinds of fusers over the years without an issue like this.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

When the creasing that regular there are a few possibilities.

1) Look in the paper tray. Is it creased in the ream?
    2) Pin wrinkles are usually the result of excessive moisture in the paper. Have you tried an un- opened fresh ream of paper.
    3) Lastly, yes it could be the fuser, but much more likely the first two options.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I woudn't believe the customer that the drum is brand new. They couldn't install it themselves. The drum itself should be fine but the charge roller will cause faint lines. That can be cleaned with a mild cleaner like windex.

You checked out the fuser, but that too can cause faint lines when then the claws start to dig into the heat roller.

As far as the wrinkles go, I would try each cassette individually to isolate it. Also, like Cat said, it's not uncommon for the paper to be creased right from the ream itself. This is usually a long diagonal crease. Also, a trick with wrinkles is to find out if any print is ON the wrinkle or UNDERNEATH the wrinkle. This will tell you if it's happened before or after the drum.

And generic toner is something an indie tech has to learn to live with, I don't think it would cause lines but it may be an excuse to get out of the door if you can't find a solution.

Thumbs up Re: CS300i multiple feint lines in direction of feed also when using platen glass

Thanks David
    I caused a jam to determine if line were there before reaching fuser and they were. I pulled the paper out from
    below without releasing pressure as I did not readily see way to do that. It was after this that I saw first crease which made me think
    that pulling the paper with resistance from full pressure may have cause a change in fuser to result in creasing. I did take paper out of tray and took some from an open package and it ran more reliably. It would just seem so coincidental having run bunch of copies before causing jam
    and no creases. Will go back next week and troubleshoot.

Thanks JR.
    Normally would not think the toner caused lines. The only reason i considered it was cause customer said it happened
    right after changing toner and drum was new. i did not take out drum but it looked pretty good from left side of machine
    There are many thin , feint lines so the line are not from fuser pawls. Plus the line are on paper before reaching fuser.

I was unaware
    as to whether this model had a charge roller as that is where I would normally look. One tech has told me this model uses charge corona
    and that it has no charge roller so I am a bit confused now.

Your friend is correct sorry. I forgot about the brief period they made TaskAlfa machines that were essentially Falcon 3s.

There is a green cleaning wand on the main charge you might get somewhere my using that.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You can order the primary charge separately. That is my recommendation, if ... there are no spots of black rain. If the primary charge has been arcing to the drum it will damage the drum. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I noticed when I used the cleaning wand on main charger the feint lines were less visible though still there, I will return on mon or tues and do a more thorough check on things and bring good paper with me and fuser
    which a local friend believes he has in stock. Thanks again, Frank