Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CS-1650

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CS-1650

CS-1650

Does anybody remember if the CS-1650 could scan to SMB?

Machines of this era with the NS-30 typically could not scan to SMB until they were upgraded to version 1.4.03 or higher, the sim U512 enabled. This one started at 1.3.0, then tested on 1.4.03, then 1.4.11. None had sim U512, or showed the Scan To SMB icons on the web interface.

I've been attempting to set up the ScanFile Utility without success. At first I thought it was a firewall issue, but even when the firewall is completely Off it fails. I've done plenty of these setups, so it bugs the shit out of me that I can't get it.

Email is out of the question, since the CS-1650 is not SSL/TLS compatible. All that leaves is TWAIN scanning.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts B0265's Avatar

Re: CS-1650

I don't remember any FW supporting U512 for 1650/2050 but it was a while since worked on them :-)

Hi Blackcat.

Forgive me if it is a silly question. Did you set it up under the web interface to scan to IP address or host name? I've had instances where host name fails but static IP works (even with DNS settings entered correctly)(you probably as well). I doubt that the version of Windows (I am assuming big time here... lol) plays a role because it relies on software to act as the translator. Exceptions in the firewall can either be ScannerFileUtility.exe but I've also seen NsCatCom.exe.

Another silly question, did you start the file utility after you configured it? And also, have you tried another version of the Scanner File Utility? (you did mention that you've done plenty if these before but did not give too much detail)

To answer your initial question - i have never done it with SMB scanning (i always thought that Scanner File Utility was the only way (apart from FTP scanning and email (FTP you will need software to act as an FTP server - but you probably know that)) so my answer doesnt really help much...

Please do post feedback when you win

Cheers man

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

email (might) work maybe with gmail if you enable the "allow less-secure apps" setting in the account.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    CS-1650

I have customers with identic Utax CD-1116 and scan function "scan to pc" but i'm not sure if this tipe of scanning work on samba protocol.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Hi Blackcat
    Some thoughts ...

Did you try SFU on your own laptop with a direct connection or even a mini hub ? Is it possible that another firewall is running in the background ? Are both boxes checked in windows fire wall (public ,private) You didn't mention what error code is being generated or OS. Also what "gtheflea" posted are good things to check, I'm wondering if your just missing one step or setting . This has happened to me more than once , especially if I haven't played with a problem for some time.

Cheers and good luck.

P.S. You of all people getting stuck on a problem. How is this possible.....

CS-1650

Quote Originally Posted by gtheflea View Post
    Hi Blackcat.

Forgive me if it is a silly question. Did you set it up under the web interface to scan to IP address or host name? I've had instances where host name fails but static IP works (even with DNS settings entered correctly)(you probably as well). I doubt that the version of Windows (I am assuming big time here... lol) plays a role because it relies on software to act as the translator. Exceptions in the firewall can either be ScannerFileUtility.exe but I've also seen NsCatCom.exe.

Another silly question, did you start the file utility after you configured it? And also, have you tried another version of the Scanner File Utility? (you did mention that you've done plenty if these before but did not give too much detail)

To answer your initial question - i have never done it with SMB scanning (i always thought that Scanner File Utility was the only way (apart from FTP scanning and email (FTP you will need software to act as an FTP server - but you probably know that)) so my answer doesnt really help much...

Please do post feedback when you win

Cheers man.
    I tried both hostname and IP. There are only 6 network devices on my home network so it's very unlikely that I've got a dupe. I put in a firewall exception for FTP generally and SFU specifically. I get a message: "Unable to connect to PC." At the MFP. I don't think any sharing is required with FTP, but the folder is shared out anyway. Still won't connect with Firewall Off. Yes it's started, i had it On/Off 50 times last night. You have to stop it to Edit the configuration. I have an older version of the SFU that I could try.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi Blackcat
    Some thoughts ...

Did you try SFU on your own laptop with a direct connection or even a mini hub ? Is it possible that another firewall is running in the background ? Are both boxes checked in windows fire wall (public ,private) You didn't mention what error code is being generated or OS. Also what "gtheflea" posted are good things to check, I'm wondering if your just missing one step or setting . This has happened to me more than once , especially if I haven't played with a problem for some time.

Cheers and good luck.

P.S. You of all people getting stuck on a problem. How is this possible.....
    IT has never been one of my strong suits. I was dragged in kicking and screaming. Did not try on the laptop yet. The release bulletin says nothing about SMB, so I think it's just not going to be possible. I will also look at the machine firmware. If the NS30 had the earliest base firmware, the rest of the machine probably does too.

Thanks for your comments. =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Its be a while since I used the Scan File Utility in CS/Kyocera's.

If memory servers me you have updated from XP to Win10 O/S.
    In Win10 right click on the desktop SFU icon an then Properties|Compatiblity| run as WinXp mode.

Re : The SFU icon sitting on the task bar down the bottom of the PC screen. Is the SFU icon showing yellow or red in colour ?If the icon is "RED" click on it and start the SFU going again.From memory you have to turn the SFU off before doing any settings, then restart it again.

Restart the PC if you have to.

Not sure how you will go with the old MFD SMB1.0 and new Win10 SMB 3.0.?

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS-1650

Hey Blackcat,
    When you shared out the folder, did you use standard sharing or advanced Sharing? Since Win7, Windows requires advanced sharing to allow access to the folder. What OS and version are you using? Did you make sure that you entered the user information in both the Sender's List and the Destination List [Scan to PC], both are required for SFU. SMB scanning has never been possible with the 1650. If the system you are trying to scan to is a Win10 machine, only the latest version of the SFU will work with it. If you are working with Win7 to Win10, when the Scanner File Utility was installed was it "run as Administrator"? We have found this helpful in a number of cases as apparently the later versions of Windows do not allow certain files and registry entries in the Windows System to be accessed and changed without it which will cause a failure even when it appears that the install completed successfully. Since you are having a problem scanning with the firewall off and a direct IP address, I would lean towards the folder sharing permissions, as this would also create the PC not found error as the machine/SFU cannot access the destination folder. Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out. Thanks.

CS-1650

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Hey Blackcat,
    When you shared out the folder, did you use standard sharing or advanced Sharing? Since Win7, Windows requires advanced sharing to allow access to the folder. ...
    Yes Advanced.

Hey Blackcat,
    What OS and version are you using? Did you make sure that you entered the user information in both the Sender's List and the Destination List [Scan to PC], both are required for SFU.
    Win10, Yes and Yes

Hey Blackcat,
    SMB scanning has never been possible with the 1650.
    I wondered if that might not be the case.

Hey Blackcat,
    If the system you are trying to scan to is a Win10 machine, only the latest version of the SFU will work with it.
    Not the latest SFU. I am having difficulty locating it on the kdaconnect website.

Hey Blackcat,
    If you are working with Win7 to Win10, when the Scanner File Utility was installed was it "run as Administrator"? We have found this helpful in a number of cases as apparently the later versions of Windows do not allow certain files and registry entries in the Windows System to be accessed and changed without it which will cause a failure even when it appears that the install completed successfully.
    Where do I do that?

Hey Blackcat,
    Since you are having a problem scanning with the firewall off and a direct IP address, I would lean towards the folder sharing permissions, as this would also create the PC not found error as the machine/SFU cannot access the destination folder.
    I all looks right to me. I think my best bet is to concentrate on locating the latest version of the ScanFile Utility. Thanks for a very thorough answer. =^..^=