Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Alphard series wrinkling envolopes through the bypass

I have a TA 3500i wrinkling envelopes through the bypass. Firmware is current 12.01, updated new-style fuser, I have tried various paper type settings and have tried adjusting temps.
    Has anybody had this issue with this series and were there things you have changed to resolve or alleviate the issue? I know in the II series the fuser is different design and I have not had any wrinkling issues on these boxes once set to envelope. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Copiertec

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Alphard series wrinkling envolopes through the bypass

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I have a TA 3500i wrinkling envelopes through the bypass. Firmware is current 12.01, updated new-style fuser, I have tried various paper type settings and have tried adjusting temps.
    Has anybody had this issue with this series and were there things you have changed to resolve or alleviate the issue? I know in the II series the fuser is different design and I have not had any wrinkling issues on these boxes once set to envelope. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Copiertec
    Has your customer recently changed the manufacturer of the envelopes they use? We have had a number of cases where a customer has printed envelopes for months on this model with no problems and then purchased [typically] cheaper envelopes and started to have this problem. Wrinkling of the envelopes is more a function of the envelope itself not being folded properly, if the folds are not square wrinkling will occur as the envelope passes through the fuser and because it is not folded square create a ripple on the surface which results in the wrinkle. It is not always the machines problem!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's usually more about the envelopes than about the MFP.

Are the envelopes inflated with air? Best results without air, pressed flat.
    Do they have triangular, trapezoidal, or square flaps? I prefer trapezoidal or square flaps.
    Is the flap open or closed? Preferably open flap.
    How many envelopes are you loading at a time? On a MFP, 25 or less.
    What media type setting? Thick1 or the equivalent.
    Can you dedicate the bypass tray exclusively to envelopes and adjust separation accordingly?

I usually recommend that my customers buy several different brands and types of envelopes from their regular office supply and see which has the least problems. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

copiertec, my understanding is that you can use the 3501i series fuser (which has the pressure release mechanism) in the 3500i and when the media type is set to envelope it will reduce the pressure and the wrinkling.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Has your customer recently changed the manufacturer of the envelopes they use? We have had a number of cases where a customer has printed envelopes for months on this model with no problems and then purchased [typically] cheaper envelopes and started to have this problem. Wrinkling of the envelopes is more a function of the envelope itself not being folded properly, if the folds are not square wrinkling will occur as the envelope passes through the fuser and because it is not folded square create a ripple on the surface which results in the wrinkle. It is not always the machines problem!
    Thank you for the input, Santander. We just put this box on site about 3 weeks ago, (it was part of a multi- package deal the sales-drones put together) and of course the customer, swears there "old copier did not wrinkle the envelopes." Of course the envelopes are pre printed with their logo which I believe increases the probability of wrinkles occurring. I will try different envelopes, making sure both (original and new envelopes) are flat. I just seen also posted to try the 3501 fuser as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Are the envelopes inflated with air? Best results without air, pressed flat.
    Do they have triangular, trapezoidal, or square flaps? I prefer trapezoidal or square flaps.
    Is the flap open or closed? Preferably open flap.
    How many envelopes are you loading at a time? On a MFP, 25 or less.
    What media type setting? Thick1 or the equivalent.
    Can you dedicate the bypass tray exclusively to envelopes and adjust separation accordingly?

I usually recommend that my customers buy several different brands and types of envelopes from their regular office supply and see which has the least problems. =^..^=
    I agree, Blackcat. I've always hated envelopes and fusers, it's a gamble sometimes. They are the triangular type, but are pre printed with the customers logo and return address. It's basically just one or two envelopes here and there throughout the day that are feed from the bypass. I tried these paper settings so far... envelope, thick, glossy, transparency, etc. I even tried adjusting fuser temp as low as 135, to as high as 190, no dice. Ive never had good luck with pre-printed envelopes, they are the worst in my opinion. Also, they are running labels through the bypass, so I can't dedicate it to envelopes. I just seen a suggestion to try a II series fuser (3501) to see if that works... I'm going to give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    copiertec, my understanding is that you can use the 3501i series fuser (which has the pressure release mechanism) in the 3500i and when the media type is set to envelope it will reduce the pressure and the wrinkling.
    Thank you... I will give it a shot and let you know. I think there is a motor in the II series boxes that engage that release mechanism on the fuser, but it's worth a shot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

This may sound strange , but I usually find that cheep envelopes work best because they they tend to be thinner than better quality ones.

Good luck..

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have been down this road, the only solution is different envelops.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

If they run more that 20 envelopes a month I would recommend buying your customer a $179 HP LaserJet to run their envelopes on and be done with the issue. I have been working on Mita/Kyocera gear since they had three digits and they suck for envelopes, what might work today will almost always cause a problem tomorrow. The $179 is cheaper than the labor cost of two service calls and if they run a lot of envelopes you will get more than two service calls. ADDED BONUS: there's a huge margin in aftermarket HP Toner.

Just my $0.02, have a nice day