Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    TASKalfa 6002i Waste Toner fitted into toner hopper.

We appear to have had this problem on one of our machines. I found a thread on "new boxes" in which a member mentioned it was possible to fit the waste toner into the toner hopper. For those that don't know, you can use the empty toner cartridge as a waste toner. Seemed like a good, green idea.....

A couple of weeks ago we had a customer changed his toner cartridge, 3 days later they were complaining of poor copies.

Upon arrival the printout was terrible. See below sample.

Attachment 37672

We suspected something wasn't right with the toner cartridge as the toner level wasn't there, instead showing the non-genuine error. Whenever the front cover was opened the toner hopper shutter immediately opened, which is also odd for a new cartridge. So we fitted a new toner, the toner level now showed and the toner hopper shutter stays closed when you open the front cover, which is normal if a full toner is fitted.

Attachment 37673

The print quality was still terrible and only by running pages through the machine did it start to clean up. The dirty used toner had obviously started to contaminate the developer unit which resulted in the poor print. By running pages through the machine with new fresh toner the contaminated dev unit seems to have come back to life. There was still a feint background when the engineer left. We followed up with a visit a few days ago and there is no sign of the dirty background.

So in conclusion, it would appear to indeed be possible and extremely easy to refit a (used) waste toner bottle into the toner hopper. I think we got lucky and caught this in time before it wrecked the developer unit completely. Kyocera would need to have a look at this. No doubt they will be blaming users and refusing warranty claims on devs. Thankfully (for now) we only have the mono machines in the field, can you imagine the mayhem with used toners fitted to a colour machine!
    Everything that has a beginning, has an end.....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Re: TASKalfa 6002i Waste Toner fitted into toner hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by D Colour View Post
    We appear to have had this problem on one of our machines. I found a thread on "new boxes" in which a member mentioned it was possible to fit the waste toner into the toner hopper. For those that don't know, you can use the empty toner cartridge as a waste toner. Seemed like a good, green idea.....

A couple of weeks ago we had a customer changed his toner cartridge, 3 days later they were complaining of poor copies.

Upon arrival the printout was terrible. See below sample.

We suspected something wasn't right with the toner cartridge as the toner level wasn't there, instead showing the non-genuine error. Whenever the front cover was opened the toner hopper shutter immediately opened, which is also odd for a new cartridge. So we fitted a new toner, the toner level now showed and the toner hopper shutter stays closed when you open the front cover, which is normal if a full toner is fitted.

The print quality was still terrible and only by running pages through the machine did it start to clean up. The dirty used toner had obviously started to contaminate the developer unit which resulted in the poor print. By running pages through the machine with new fresh toner the contaminated dev unit seems to have come back to life. There was still a feint background when the engineer left. We followed up with a visit a few days ago and there is no sign of the dirty background.

So in conclusion, it would appear to indeed be possible and extremely easy to refit a (used) waste toner bottle into the toner hopper. I think we got lucky and caught this in time before it wrecked the developer unit completely. Kyocera would need to have a look at this. No doubt they will be blaming users and refusing warranty claims on devs. Thankfully (for now) we only have the mono machines in the field, can you imagine the mayhem with used toners fitted to a colour machine!
    I had a customer do this with a 5052ci. Ran it for a couple weeks. I was clued in because KFS wasn't reporting a black toner level. They had inserted the new black toner into the waste slot first, flipping the "waste tab" and not allowing it to easily go into the black slot. For whatever reason they found a black that had been cycled through the waste system and forced it into the black slot. As was stated in the initial post, I reset the black cartridge and ran several dv refreshes and full page (K) test pages from u089. The quality started coming back, I left after a stern warning to my client, and let them run it as usual to continue the improvement (if it didn't get back to normal, I would have charged them to replace the dv). If you ever are unsure about this, simply "jimmy open" the toner container in question and look inside, if it's jet black it's new if its grey or muddy(color boxes) you've got waste.

KYO still covers this as a warranty issue, no warranties voided. Not as big a deal as made out, but you do want to catch it early. Plus if you are training your clients properly, BILL THEM FOR FUCKING THEIR MACHINES UP.

That is all...
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: TASKalfa 6002i Waste Toner fitted into toner hopper.

Thanks for the warning. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=