Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Prescribe Help

Technician

Prescribe Help

I have a potential new customer that wants to print prescriptions onto 5.5 x 8.5 paper. the problem is that the PDF that their medical application generates is a letter size document and it prints in the upper left hand corner of the page. it is not a full page print, it only prints on half the letter size page. I did manage to get it to work by setting the printer's left margin to about 2 inches with L3/L4 FRPO settings but that changes the margins for every print job. I have been tinkering around with Prescribe to move the margins "per print job" but can't seem to figure out prescribe. I went into the logical printer ports in the printer and set a start of job string to !R! RES; Unit C; SLM 10; Exit;I thought for sure that would work but it didn't seem to do anything. SLM is the command for set left margin. unit c is to designate centimeters. I also tried creating a text file with the same Prescribe commands and invoke it through the print driver's Prologue/Epilogue feature but that didn't do anything either. I even messed around with IC Link but with no luck. All i need to do is move the margins over to the right about 2 inches for their prescriptions to print correctly. I do have the Prescribe tech reference and command reference manuals but they do not show you how to apply the prescribe commands to the printer. Is there anyone out there that could guide me in the right direction?
    Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Prescribe Help

Re: Prescribe Help

Is the PreScribe prepend residing on the link for logical port 9101? And is the application printing through a print driver directed to logical port 9101? Is logical port 9101 open on the network? What print emulation are you using? Do you have a data capture for examination?

If you selected a different logical port 9102, 9103, or 9104 the same questions apply. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thanks for responding BlackCat, I was just testing it on port 9100. I plugged my laptop into printer with cat5 cable. I typed !R! RES; Unit C; SLM 10; Exit; in the start of job string. I will attach the capture file. The file was too big to upload so I deleted most of the body of the capture file and left the beginning and the end. I don't see my prescribe string in the capture file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Prescribe Help

Like most Kyoceras it starts out in PreScribe, has several lines of Printer Job Language, then continues in PCL XL with the page data.

While working on a barcode font project I discovered that the printer language used is critical, depending on what stage you try to insert your command. For example, if you write a valid paper tray selection command in PCL XL, and prepend it to a Kyocera print job the same transition of print languages takes place. Prepend: PreScribe > PCL XL. Print Data: PreScribe > PJL > PCL XL. By the time you get back to the PCL XL page data, the printer will completely ignore your prepended command. For your margin command to be effective it most likely will have to be written in PJL print language, and appear in the Printer job Language section (@PJL), before the language transition to PCL XL (!R!SIR2;EXIT.

That doesn't address the problem of inserting the command into the Printer Job Language portion of the print data. With a little experimentation in Textpad or XVI32, it's simple enough to get the desired command change in the data capture. It's more difficult to get your print driver to automatically insert the command for you into the print data, well beyond my understanding.

Rather than a PJL command for margin, you'll probably have more success with a STMT-R page size command or STMT-R paper tray size command. Unless the whole job is going to arrive in PreScribe, PreScribe commands probably won't help you much. I'll bring my Printer Job Language manual in tomorrow and have a look. =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Prescribe Help

Quote Originally Posted by rickbeta View Post
    I have a potential new customer that wants to print prescriptions onto 5.5 x 8.5 paper. the problem is that the PDF that their medical application generates is a letter size document and it prints in the upper left hand corner of the page. it is not a full page print, it only prints on half the letter size page. I did manage to get it to work by setting the printer's left margin to about 2 inches with L3/L4 FRPO settings but that changes the margins for every print job. I have been tinkering around with Prescribe to move the margins "per print job" but can't seem to figure out prescribe. I went into the logical printer ports in the printer and set a start of job string to !R! RES; Unit C; SLM 10; Exit;I thought for sure that would work but it didn't seem to do anything. SLM is the command for set left margin. unit c is to designate centimeters. I also tried creating a text file with the same Prescribe commands and invoke it through the print driver's Prologue/Epilogue feature but that didn't do anything either. I even messed around with IC Link but with no luck. All i need to do is move the margins over to the right about 2 inches for their prescriptions to print correctly. I do have the Prescribe tech reference and command reference manuals but they do not show you how to apply the prescribe commands to the printer. Is there anyone out there that could guide me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Your on the right track with the Prescribe commands you have illustrated, however you will need to get the medical application software vendor that they are printing from to reference the prescribe file in the print stream, otherwise all the prescribe commands get over written by the commands from the application software. Making logical printers, 9101 etc would seen to work, but unless the medical program is changed to call that logical printer it will revert to the settings for the 9100 printer. It should not be difficult for the medical program software people to change the logical printer or reference the prescribe file in their printer setup. Without their involvement you could be chasing your tail for a while. Been there, done that.

Technician

Thanks for your help guys. I found out that all that they will be using this printer for is prescriptions, so I can set the margins over and leave it that way. I set the page margins over with FRPO L3 & L4. I also had to tell the printer not to error out because the document is letter size and the paper in the tray is statement size with FRPO Y3,0;. I will attach my whole FRPO command just it case someone else (not likely) runs into this same problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Prescribe Help

Congratulations. Thanks for posting back. =^..^=