Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    CS 6501 weird issue

CS 6501 weird issue

What had happened was..... This machine has job accounting on, and is networked with a static ip. Every now and then the job accounting is turned off and the ip has been changed to DHCP on. I at first thought maybe someone was trying to circumvent the system, so I changed the admin password from 6500 6500, but within weeks it happened again. The school(oh yes sorry this is at a school) was at the time replacing all of the network systems in the whole district, so I thought well maybe this will take care of the issue. Everything was good until I get in this afternoon with this problem popping back up. The only other thing, that I have noticed is there is a freezer and a cooler on this same hall(the copier is on a surge protector not shared with either of the before mentioned), but if anyone has another idea I would be open to other possibilities.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS 6501 weird issue

Re: CS 6501 weird issue

Quote Originally Posted by Scottb View Post
    What had happened was..... This machine has job accounting on, and is networked with a static ip. Every now and then the job accounting is turned off and the ip has been changed to DHCP on. I at first thought maybe someone was trying to circumvent the system, so I changed the admin password from 6500 6500, but within weeks it happened again. The school(oh yes sorry this is at a school) was at the time replacing all of the network systems in the whole district, so I thought well maybe this will take care of the issue. Everything was good until I get in this afternoon with this problem popping back up. The only other thing, that I have noticed is there is a freezer and a cooler on this same hall(the copier is on a surge protector not shared with either of the before mentioned), but if anyone has another idea I would be open to other possibilities.
    OK you changed the login in from the operator panel, did you also change the webpage login?? Or is it still Admin, Admin? I know of no power issues that would change the static IP back to DHCP or Job Accounting settings from on to off without someone logging into the webpage to do it. My guess is that some IT person is changing the settings to resolve some network issue and not letting you know and if you ask them they would of course say "Not Me"!! DHCP and Job Accounting just do not get turned on and off by themselves without someone changing them. Change the Webpage password and make the correct settings and see who starts to complain that they do not have access, you will find your culprit. In fact going to a call tomorrow on a 4501i where someone [not me!] has turned on job accounting with no codes entered and now everyone is locked out. Of course it is a machine problem, no one has touched the machine job accounting just got turned on all by itself, right!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scottb View Post

There was similar issues awhile back with copiers losing network settings, I think it was to do with sleep mode , we had to set copiers to quick recovery , also make sure firmware is up to date

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    CS 6501 weird issue

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    OK you changed the login in from the operator panel, did you also change the webpage login?? Or is it still Admin, Admin? I know of no power issues that would change the static IP back to DHCP or Job Accounting settings from on to off without someone logging into the webpage to do it. My guess is that some IT person is changing the settings to resolve some network issue and not letting you know and if you ask them they would of course say "Not Me"!! DHCP and Job Accounting just do not get turned on and off by themselves without someone changing them. Change the Webpage password and make the correct settings and see who starts to complain that they do not have access, you will find your culprit. In fact going to a call tomorrow on a 4501i where someone [not me!] has turned on job accounting with no codes entered and now everyone is locked out. Of course it is a machine problem, no one has touched the machine job accounting just got turned on all by itself, right!

That's what I thought to begin with, but there is only one guy that services the network at that school, and he swears, that it's not him. I may have to change the computer access also.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    CS 6501 weird issue

Quote Originally Posted by taskalfa View Post

There was similar issues awhile back with copiers losing network settings, I think it was to do with sleep mode , we had to set copiers to quick recovery , also make sure firmware is up to date

I will check the sleep mode, but I usually set to quick recovery...but unfortunately I don't always set up the machines. The firmware should be at the last available level 6.01, but I will check.

They also have a FS 1135 doing crazy things. The fax and scanner stop working until a power reset, and I am going back with the latest firmware in the morning.