Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ecosys M-3540IDN firmware mess

I'm wondering if anyone here has a convenient method to recover from a firmware mess.
    Somehow, the firmware for an Ecosys M3040idn was used to update an M-3540idn copier. The update went through surprisingly, and now the copier thinks it's an M-3040idn.

Strangely, everything seems fine... except the fax function is now gone.

I tried using the correct firmware on another stick, but it never updates the engine file, and fax isn't listed on the screen of modules updating.
    I tried the emergency procedure , but nothing different was the outcome. I tried renaming the correct file to the incorrect extension (2NY instead of 2NM), still no update.

Anyone on here have more insight into how the firmware files relate to each other or how to un-screw this copier short of replacing the mobo?

Sparky

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ecosys M-3540IDN firmware mess

The only way I know of recovering from this particular mess is replacing the main board (or sending it into Hytec). I once loaded the wrong firmware to a FS-3900, and it was a brick until it got a new main board and correct firmware. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

well, with a stroke of luck, and a stroke... it's fixed.

I ended up taking the emergency special firmware for M3540idn that gets used if the copier locks, changed the DL_CTRL.2NN filename to DL_CTRL.2NY (as i tried once before), but this time I started the copier, went into maintenance mode and ran u025, rebooted with said modified firmware stick inserted, and it took! showing loaded 2NM into the CTRL, rebooted and it ran showing fax! As per the procedure, I then ran another firmware update with normal firmware for M3540idn-etc and rebooted once again, now it's all back to normal.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Glad you got it running again! I might not have thought about going into Sims and running U025 with the emergency SW stick still installed! Looking back now it does make some sense. Thanks for letting us know, one to put in the memory bank for a future problem.