Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar

Returning a leased Kyocera Copier

I have a customer that just down graded to a Brother MFC. They have a Kyocera that was being leased.

They have the RMA to return to the leasing company.. but they have been given NO instructions on how to pack it up or requirements for shipping it back.

I have never been involved in that process since most of the time either the leasing company handled it or the customer did a " buy out " of the equipment.

The customer wants us to handle the return of the machine.

What would be your recommendations?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Returning a leased Kyocera Copier

My normal process is to make a copy of the return instructions/authorization and put a copy in the adf. I also print out a copy quality sample and leave that in the adf as well. Wrap the machine with whatever plastic/cellophane you normally use for deliveries. The company we use schedules a pick up and loads the machine in their truck for return and supplies me a bill of lading. Most shipping companies don't need it boxed or on a pallet that do copier returns. If you're trying to send it Fedex or SAIA or whatever I'm not sure what they need. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Horologydoc View Post
    My normal process is to make a copy of the return instructions/authorization and put a copy in the adf. I also print out a copy quality sample and leave that in the adf as well. Wrap the machine with whatever plastic/cellophane you normally use for deliveries. The company we use schedules a pick up and loads the machine in their truck for return and supplies me a bill of lading. Most shipping companies don't need it boxed or on a pallet that do copier returns. If you're trying to send it Fedex or SAIA or whatever I'm not sure what they need. Hope that helps.
    yes it helps alot... Hopefully I will get the information in the next day or so.....

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Horologydoc View Post
    Also if you need more specifics, contact the leasing company directly, they will have (and likely have provided your customer) specific instructions on who to use and how to insure it, etc.

If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

How big and what is the weight of the Kyocera? Is it an A3 or an A4? Soft ship via a moving company will cost way more than if you could palletize the copier and ship it as freight. Get a shipping pallet, shrink wrap the copier. Make sure the wheels do not hang down beneath the pallet. Preferably block the wheels on the pallet with wood strips and a screw gun. Buy some disposable ratchet tie down straps.

Does the customer expect you to perform this service at No Charge?

Usually, I tell the customer in advance that I will handle the return of equipment if they renew the lease with myself. If I loose a deal and the customer has to return the equipment, they are on their own.

Thanks A Bunch Guys!

Technician

There is a company called MOE that is specific to moving copiers around the country. they just need it shrink wrapped and all docs on outside of shrink wrap. Make customer pay expenses is what we do. They are VERY reasonable compared to freight companies

Service Manager 50+ Posts eddie110171's Avatar

Most leasing companies require the copier to be returned with a specialty copier transportation company. The leasing companies we deal with will charge you extra palletize or crate it, for them to unpack it. Also they usually specify how much they want it insured for when shipped. The specialty company provides the requested insurance in the quote when you ask for the dollar amount requested. If it's not insured than you are on the hook for the amount they requested if it gets damaged. FWIW

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts tmaged's Avatar

I would also perform a data sanitization on it before it went back, especially if it doesn't have a data security kit installed.

Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

The leasing companies that we deal with require returned copiers to pass a copy and are configured as stated on the lease. This may be obvious but we got dinged a couple of times. Also if any plugs or brackets are protruding , remove or protect them.