Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Copystar CS4500i - weird fax problem

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p8...0=w700-h933-no [link to pic]

This unit keeps freezing up whenever it starts to receive a fax. [see image]
    Unit was working fine, receiving and printing hundreds of fax pages. Refilled the paper trays and then got this error.
    Says there was "an error with a print job" but doesn't tell you what it was. It looks as if the fax job wants some specific paper size. It says "load 11" paper" but there is plenty of paper. Unit has two trays, one is letter and the other is letter R. Usually you should be able to select another paper type and continue, but as you can see all the buttons are grayed out. The only button that works is the change paper button for the MP tray. Tried all different papers in MP tray but still won't print. The only other button in the screen that isn't grayed out is the Hold button. All that does is bring up the job status window.
    As you probably know, you cannot delete a fax job that is in the print queue. You can't move it or anything. With this error also you cannot access the service mode to 906 the machine. No matter what you try, [i.e. doors open, trays open, standing on your head, etc] you cannot enter service mode in any way while there is a received fax job in the job status queue. The only way to access the service mode is to shut down the machine, remove the fax board, then reboot. Did that and did 671 to reset the machine. Also did 906.

Unit then prints and copies perfectly. Does auto tray switching perfectly, every function works great with fax board removed. I then shut down the machine and reinstalled the fax board, then rebooted the machine. Ran great and even faxed out 2 pages fine. Then it started to receive some faxes, and as it started to print the received faxes it instantly went back to this error again. Going to try firmware and a different fax board today if we have one. Any ideas appreciated!!
    DT

Note - sorry, have tried several ways but this forum site will not successfully upload an image of any kind. Webmaster...please fix
    Last edited by deserttech99; 11-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Technician

Re: Copystar CS4500i - weird fax problem

You said one tray is letter and the other is letter-r. Are they set to those sizes, in Sys Menu>Common Settings>Orig/Paper Settings>Cassette Settings? At least one tray has to be set to Auto.
    Last edited by tcook; 11-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's very common to have the enduser break the rear cassette guide. The tray then intermittently displays that it has STMT-R sized paper, which will still feed fine since the length is right, but won't auto tray select for LTR paper size. A tech may them just hard set the paper size, rather than taking the time to figure out why it's displaying STMT-R size. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Have had same problem, no solutions as of yet, many suggestions, many ideas, not solved yet. Will only feed from bypass, have tried setting cassettes to A4, different cassettes, multiple different paper settings, types, nope, no luck yet. No problem with paper in the bypass though.

Two things to try one I believe under the fax settings you can select the cassette also under fax setting turn on reduce paper size it's off from the factory

Technician

Sorry for the delayed reply

TCook and Blackcat were spot on. In order to print received faxes one tray at least needs to be set to Auto. Weird but true

Also, unit kept displaying statement size paper every time they filled the tray because the little slider cam behind the rear fence is sloppy and not hitting switch properly. Wedged a piece of paper under it and works fine