KM1815 with code C6400

Don't have a manual for this model.
    The code is Fuser right?
    Try resetting via U163?
    Get into Svc Mode with 10871087 right?

Another model says 6400 code has to do with Pwr Supply. Customer said it happened after a storm.

Sounds like a Board. Fuse maybe?
    You seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks to all responders.
    Last edited by TEKK09; 02-08-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: new info

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM1815 with code C6400

Re: KM1815 with code C6400

U163 is the reset for C6400 codes. Open front cover and run 10871087.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM1815 with code C6400

Here is what I know about zero-cross errors. It's incomplete but might be helpful.

Halogen fuser lamps draw a lot of AC power. The engineers make use of an interesting concept to minimize the power draw to heat up the fuser. As you may already know AC voltage oscillates between -120 and +120 volts 60 times per second, or 60 Hertz, or frequency. So the actual voltage is constantly changing in a predictable way.

Now the actual power usage in watts is P=IV, or Power in Watts is equal to Amperage times Voltage. The current stays the same, let's say 15A. If you turn on the lamps only when the voltage is passing zero (60 times each second, aka zero-cross) then you're power usage is considerably less. Certainly not zero, but lower. P=IV=15*0

The problem comes in when the frequency varies enough that the machine cannot properly time those pulses of lamp lighting. The occurrence of the zero-cross varies ... thus Zero Cross-Error.

Now, you can see that the problem is not actually with the MFP, but the unreliability of the frequency (in the US 60 Hertz). You can certainly clear the error, but that will do nothing to improve the quality of the power you're providing to the machine. It will very likely re-occur. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Here is what I know about zero-cross errors. It's incomplete but might be helpful.

Halogen fuser lamps draw a lot of AC power. The engineers make use of an interesting concept to minimize the power draw to heat up the fuser. As you may already know AC voltage oscillates between -120 and +120 volts 60 times per second, or 60 Hertz, or frequency. So the actual voltage is constantly changing in a predictable way.

Now the actual power usage in watts is P=IV, or Power in Watts is equal to Amperage times Voltage. The current stays the same, let's say 15A. If you turn on the lamps only when the voltage is passing zero (60 times each second, aka zero-cross) then you're power usage is considerably less. Certainly not zero, but lower. P=IV=15*0

The problem comes in when the frequency varies enough that the machine cannot properly time those pulses of lamp lighting. The occurrence of the zero-cross varies ... thus Zero Cross-Error.

Now, you can see that the problem is not actually with the MFP, but the unreliability of the frequency (in the US 60 Hertz). You can certainly clear the error, but that will do nothing to improve the quality of the power you're providing to the machine. It will very likely re-occur. =^..^=
    I thought the purpose of zero-cross is to switch the power on/off at any zero point in the AC sinewave. That way, there are no spikes injected onto the AC power line, because when the switching occurred, there was no voltage, therefore no current draw. But the component will still draw the same amount of current with or without zero-switching. I think the z-c circuitry is designed to see the zero points even if they are inconsistent.

But in the case of a thunderstorm where there are additional elements in the sinewave, the circuit gets confused and switches at the wrong time. Or probably it actually did switch at the zero, but the additional elements caused a current draw, which another circuit detected, which then triggered the BS flag and the 'sorry, C6400'.

You go for that? Thanks a lot for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    U163 is the reset for C6400 codes. Open front cover and run 10871087.
    I tried getting into Service Mode, but could not. I wonder if you have any other suggestions about that.

I tried opening the cover above the toner and entering 10871087 but it did not respond. I was able to touch Menu and it did respond. But as far as I know, you cannot get into svc mode from there.

I took the Fuser out and could find no problem. The lamp circuit tested fine.

I want to reset the C6400. Thanks for your time.

KM1815 with code C6400

Instead of 10871087 try ...

system menu -> service mode -> start, #, enter

to get into service mode.

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Instead of 10871087 try ...

system menu -> service mode -> start, #, enter

to get into service mode.
    I tried to do that. When I pressed 'system menu' I found out that 'service mode' does not show up. The closest it gets is 'service setting', and then you get 'print svc status page' or 'print network status page', or 'new Developer'.

Yes, zero cross error. Do a fuser reset 163. This is how to get to maint mode.
    Press the system menu/counter key.

Select
    Service settingusing

the up/down cursor keys
    While pressing the start key and the # key,
    press the enter key.

Select
    Maintenance modeusing

the up/down cursor keys.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM1815 with code C6400

Turn on with cover open. Not sure why service option wouldn't appear, scrolling all the way down?

Screenshot_20180220-122006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerkiller View Post
    Yes, zero cross error. Do a fuser reset 163. This is how to get to maint mode.
    Press the system menu/counter key.

Select
    Service settingusing

the up/down cursor keys
    While pressing the start key and the # key,
    press the enter key.

Select
    Maintenance modeusing

the up/down cursor keys.

THAT WORKED! Had a little trouble with it because I expected 'Maint Mode' to show up after I did the 3-key combination. Found out it was added as a selection below the 3 that I mentioned above. Thank you so much, and my customer thanks you too!