Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8001i J42xx

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    8001i J42xx

8001i J42xx

I've had about 5 different 8001i's (latest firmware) give me this jam code 42xx at different times. When it occurs, removing the paper will just jam again until power is cycled. Even opening the door, doesn't stop the exit motor from running continuously in reverse after the jam is indicated. I slow-mo videoed it to verify that's what was happening. Curious if anyone has seen this, or has done anything to prevent it ?
    Thanks !
    Last edited by tmaged; 03-13-2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: It's 42xx not 44xx
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: 8001i J42xx

Have you tried replacing the exit unit? Check the sensor actuators in it. Paper wears them down a lot.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The only solution I've found (other than power cycling) is to replace the Front PWB. P/N 302LF94210

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    8001i J42xx

Thanks Wragsdale. Reading the description of that PWB, that would make sense. I'm curious why it clears if it's not a firmware issue of some sort. I would think if the front PWB needed replacing, the jam would persist even when cycling power.
    I'm just glad someone else has seen this happen. The motor doesn't shut off even though there is a jam indicated & the side door is opened.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

[QUOTE=tmaged;597480]I've had about 5 different 8001i's (latest firmware) give me this jam code 42xx at different times. When it occurs, removing the paper will just jam again until power is cycled. Even opening the door, doesn't stop the exit motor from running continuously in reverse after the jam is indicated. I slow-mo videoed it to verify that's what was happening. Curious if anyone has seen this, or has done anything to prevent it ?
    Thanks ![/QUOTE

Let me tell you what is NOT causing this problem...It's not firmware,HDD, main pcb, engine pcb , front pcb, exit assy or power noise.
    We ran into this same problem . First we replaced the exit assy and front pcb . After replacing the parts and before turning on we tried to update the firmware and during the update the copier crashed. To make a long story short we had to replace the other listed parts to bring it back to life. Six months later same thing with the exit assy running on. The only way to reset is a full power cycle...
    I'm wondering if this is a pure programming bug that only happens under very unusual circumstances ,for example...during the jam removal process where the copier is trying to convey all the paper after a registered jam. If I remember correctly , this was one of the new features of this copier.

Cheers...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    8001i J42xx

I know this is frowned on, but have you considered downgrading the firmware? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have not had a callback in any case where the front PWB was replaced. All of my 8001's are high volume (1.2mil+/yr).

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I know this is frowned on, but have you considered downgrading the firmware? =^..^=
    . We installed these copiers close to release dates and the firmware was the release version. Now way to go lower.... But a great idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    I have not had a callback in any case where the front PWB was replaced. All of my 8001's are high volume (1.2mil+/yr).
    We have different results. With or without a new front PCB the problem pops up. We power cycle the box and it works for months without the problem ,than the some situation. Funny thing, never had this problem with the 00 models , that's why I think it a pure programing bug.

Are we having fun yet?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Are your machines networked? We have a bunch of 8001i at a school district. We were thinking its a bad print job causing the exit unit to continually run in reverse.