Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Question KM / CS-2550 Printed Pages ok Copied pages Light or smeared in middle

I am working on a CS-2550 the Printed pages are great however, the copies pages are light in middle left to right thru the ADF and Smeared Left to right if just on the glass.

200,010 pages, I just replaced the Maintenance Kit (MK-420) due to other issues which are now corrected. (the Ozone Filter was in such bad shape it fell apart)

I have attached 3 pages the first was printed directly then one pages thru the ADF and one directly on the glass.

I think it is a mirror or mirrors that may be dirty but I wanted to get some input before I go further.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts masterchill's Avatar

Re: KM / CS-2550 Printed Pages ok Copied pages Light or smeared in middle

Yes this is a common issue with theses machine. Clean all of the mirrors in the optics and that should clear it up. They get a haze on them. You can try to kick down the fuser temp a little because this is the main cause that will haze them but watch you don't go to low to effect the toner being fused to the page.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts itchyfinger@att.net's Avatar

agree. optics have the fuser film build up on them. I found Katun sells a mirror and film remover that works great. otherwise may have to take mirrors out and wash with soap and water if you take them out, make sure you notice how they are in there. they are front faced mirrors.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    KM / CS-2550 Printed Pages ok Copied pages Light or smeared in middle

Quote Originally Posted by Raydicks View Post
    I am working on a CS-2550 the Printed pages are great however, the copies pages are light in middle left to right thru the ADF and Smeared Left to right if just on the glass.

200,010 pages, I just replaced the Maintenance Kit (MK-420) due to other issues which are now corrected. (the Ozone Filter was in such bad shape it fell apart)

I have attached 3 pages the first was printed directly then one pages thru the ADF and one directly on the glass.

I think it is a mirror or mirrors that may be dirty but I wanted to get some input before I go further.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS when going to a machine THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE UNIT. So many problems can be cleared up ( PQ & CQ ) by cleaning the unit. I had one tech years ago that REFUSED to clean the machine.... well let's just say.. he didn't last long ( plus he refused to put all screws back in proper place )

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfinger@att.net View Post
    agree. optics have the fuser film build up on them. I found Katun sells a mirror and film remover that works great. otherwise may have to take mirrors out and wash with soap and water if you take them out, make sure you notice how they are in there. they are front faced mirrors.
    windex does fine on the mirrors ( I would never remove one unless it's broken ) then if you are getting a ozone buildup quick on the mirrors use 'Rain-X' on them... keeps them from building up as quick

Quote Originally Posted by masterchill View Post
    Yes this is a common issue with theses machine. Clean all of the mirrors in the optics and that should clear it up. They get a haze on them. You can try to kick down the fuser temp a little because this is the main cause that will haze them but watch you don't go to low to effect the toner being fused to the page.
    what I have noticed in the 30+ years doing this... extreme ozone buildup is due to clogged filters... most techs don't even replaced them from the kit. see my note lower on the "rain-x" trick

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

So true. You'll have good results with 99% alcohol cleaning those mirrors. I do not recommend removing the mirrors, since so often techs have trouble getting them re-installed properly.

I've had good results with covering the holes in the bottom of the scanner with self adhesive mylar and filling the gaps in the left cover with thin foam (not blocking vents). Also shorten up your sleep timers as much as your customer will tolerate (hopefully like 5 minutes). It will reduce plastic degrading in the fuser, and reduce the ozone buildup in the scanner. On my machine I cut it back to 3 minutes. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thank you, so you are talking mirror 1,2 & e ( in Figure 2-1-3 in the service manual right? (Page 227))?

is there a need to do anything to the Exposure Lamp the CCD PCP ?

Thank you

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts masterchill's Avatar

Yes those mirrors. You could wipe down the lamp while you are in there. You don't really have to mess with the ccd.

Technician

I cleaned all 3 mirrors and it was a huge improvement! Thank you for the advice so far.

However, there is a light print area in same place. I'm going to assume that my next move is the CCD. I would assume that if I remove the ISU cover that I should be able to access the ccd?

Is it still ok to use Windex or 90+% Alcohol or do the rules change here?

or is there something else that i'm missing?

An additional question since this customer has a number of Copystar printers / MFP's and the would rather get them repaired vs replacing them. In my past I have been able to print the test charts from actual devices however do you guys advise to order the 72570140 8.5X11 TEST CHART I think its a pack of 10. or is that unnecessary?

I wanted to thank everyone for their willingness to provide the help and suggestions so quickly it is very much appreciated!