Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KM-5052ci fuser

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM-5052ci fuser

KM-5052ci fuser

So I had this 5052ci this week with J4214, J4204, J4203 codes. I managed to get the reports printed off before it started jamming again. Then it pulled a C2300 (fuser drive error) that would not clear.

I checked U030, trying to run the fuser motor, but it errored out before I could get the simulation started, even with a door left open during bootup. In U031 there isn't a simple way to check the rear belt rotation sensor or the front belt rotation rotation sensor. The rear sensor runs to the paper feed board > paper image board > engine board. The front sensor runs to the fuser PWB > paper feed board > paper image board > engine board. The only place those signals are reasonably accessible is at the paper feed board (pushing straight pins into the connectors). The fuser motor does run up during initialization, the rollers do turn, and the pressure is applied correctly. I could not tell if the pulse wheels turn. The harness pins out good. (152K total prints, ~6K color)

I ordered up the fuser and it did fix it. So here's the question: It really bugs me not knowing what failed. It's really convenient to swap out units ... but I'd really like to know what failed here: rotation sensors? fuser PWB? pulse wheels not rotating? By the time it coded it was a hard failure. It should be easy to catch the cause of a hard failure. So I'm asking. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM-5052ci fuser

Re: KM-5052ci fuser

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    So I had this 5052ci this week with J4214, J4204, J4203 codes. I managed to get the reports printed off before it started jamming again. Then it pulled a C2300 (fuser drive error) that would not clear.

I checked U030, trying to run the fuser motor, but it errored out before I could get the simulation started, even with a door left open during bootup. In U031 there isn't a simple way to check the rear belt rotation sensor or the front belt rotation rotation sensor. The rear sensor runs to the paper feed board > paper image board > engine board. The front sensor runs to the fuser PWB > paper feed board > paper image board > engine board. The only place those signals are reasonably accessible is at the paper feed board (pushing straight pins into the connectors). The fuser motor does run up during initialization, the rollers do turn, and the pressure is applied correctly. I could not tell if the pulse wheels turn. The harness pins out good. (152K total prints, ~6K color)

I ordered up the fuser and it did fix it. So here's the question: It really bugs me not knowing what failed. It's really convenient to swap out units ... but I'd really like to know what failed here: rotation sensors? fuser PWB? pulse wheels not rotating? By the time it coded it was a hard failure. It should be easy to catch the cause of a hard failure. So I'm asking. =^..^=
    Agree with your assessment. since replacing the fuser assembly resolved the issue, would suspect that it was binding up and causing the code. These units track so many variables, it would be easy enough to pinpoint the actual malfunction. But I guess I am from the old days where you identified a problem within a unit and resolved it by replacing the part and not just the complete assembly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I’ve had a number of these fail. There are orange foam rubber spacers either end of the fuser belt. They slip and sometimes fall out causing jams, and failures due to the chopper sensors not rotating Apparently this issue has been fixed recently at factory so should only affect early machines up to about January this year.

KM-5052ci fuser

Quote Originally Posted by Ropariva View Post
    I’ve had a number of these fail. There are orange foam rubber spacers either end of the fuser belt. They slip and sometimes fall out causing jams, and failures due to the chopper sensors not rotating Apparently this issue has been fixed recently at factory so should only affect early machines up to about January this year.
    I did notice that the foam rimmed cap at the front of the belt (that drives the pulse wheel) fit more loosely than the one at the rear. I can imagine the front pulse wheel slowing ... throwing off jam timing and motor speed calculations. It's logical. =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

On a side note.....Any chance that that these fuses will ever go their rated life?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    On a side note.....Any chance that that these fuses will ever go their rated life?
    They seem to be a good fuser apart from this issue.
    I’ve already had a few do life (600k) though at this point I’ve had far more fail, generally with this particular problem mentioned in this post.
    Main charge rollers on the other hand....KM-5052ci fuser still rubbish. 200k maximum before they blister.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ropariva View Post
    They seem to be a good fuser apart from this issue.
    I’ve already had a few do life (600k) though at this point I’ve had far more fail, generally with this particular problem mentioned in this post.
    Main charge rollers on the other hand....KM-5052ci fuser still rubbish. 200k maximum before they blister.
    On multiple fusers ,the coating on the heat belt wore out where the edges of the paper contact the belt...Seems to happen more on color boxes , 250 -350 K.
    Did you notice how soft the coating is , fingernail easily scrapes the coating off.
    As for the charges....Yep...One would think that after 4-5 +years they would figure it out...unless they are are not fixing this problem on purpose.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM-5052ci fuser

H178 addresses the error code.
    I013 addresses the pads coming out causing C6600 & C6770
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

KM-5052ci fuser

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    H178 addresses the error code.
    I013 addresses the pads coming out causing C6600 & C6770
    Thanks Tony.

Technician

I appreciate you trying to track down that issue. I heard other posters questioning the viability of this particular fuser. We have replaced 4 units in the past 10 days in units less than a year old. Of the 4 fuser replaced only 1 mfp had more than 100k. That was 110k. The other 3 copiers had 84k, 88k, and 93k. The fuser had literally blown up. It looked like the fuser had a million copies, throwing codes and locked up. I am shocked to hear someone say that they have gotten 600k. Not too long ago we went down this road with 6550's. Hopefully this one will not take 9 revisions, and the infamous papergauge.