Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: KM-8030 J65

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM-8030 J65

KM-8030 J65

I thought that I'd seen everything on the Harrier ... well but this. It started with a J00 jam that wouldn't clear. That came down to DUP CV SW A (DUPCSW1), and a new switch resolved that. Now I can simplex, but will pass only one page duplex before jamming J65. The paper stops about 25mm shy of DUPCSW2. There aren't any obvious snags or skid marks from the duplex rollers. The lower guide closes properly, the rollers meet evenly, and they have good grip on the paper. The one-way bearings don't slip, have been cleaned and oiled. All the rollers have been cleaned.

The only roller I have any question about is the duplex switchback roller. It's only worn 0.3mm smaller circumference towards the front (far less than the 1.3mm it takes to cause J60, J61, J62, and J63 jam codes, but it's the only promising lead that I've got).

Has anyone seen J65 jams?
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 05-26-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM-8030 J65

Re: KM-8030 J65

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I thought that I'd seen everything on the Harrier ... well but this. It started with a J00 jam that wouldn't clear. That came down to DUP CV SW A (DUPCSW1), and a new switch resolved that. Now I can simplex, but will pass only one page duplex before jamming J65. The paper stops about 25mm shy of DUPCSW2. There aren't any obvious snags or skid marks from the duplex rollers. The lower guide closes properly, the rollers meet evenly, and they have good grip on the paper. The one-way bearings don't slip, have been cleaned and oiled. All the rollers have been cleaned.

The only roller I have any question about is the duplex switchback roller. It's only worn 0.3mm smaller circumference towards the front (far less than the 1.3mm it takes to cause J60, J61, J62, and J63 jam codes, but it's the only promising lead that I've got).

Has anyone seen J65 jams?
    Had a 6030 driving me crazy a few months ago with duplex jams. Do not remember the exact jam code(s) and searching the database did not bring up a J65, but what resolved it for me was replacing the solenoid in the duplex unit. I had gone the same route you have replacing rollers and making sure everything was clean and the one way clutches worked properly. What was really annoying was I would try different things as you have only to have it work for a few days. I had essentially rebuilt the duplex unit except for the solenoid assembly only to have it jam again. Once I replaced the entire assembly, solenoid, spring etc. have not had a duplex problem since. Apparently the solenoid would randomly not engage completely and did not apply enough pressure on the feed roller causing a late arrival jam code. I guess that after 3.8 mil on the clock you have to expect some weird problems. Hope this helps.

KM-8030 J65

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    ... Once I replaced the entire assembly, solenoid, spring etc. have not had a duplex problem since. Apparently the solenoid would randomly not engage completely and did not apply enough pressure on the feed roller causing a late arrival jam code. I guess that after 3.8 mil on the clock you have to expect some weird problems. Hope this helps.
    It would certainly account for a late arrival. I guess I didn't mention, 900K prints. That will be attempt #3 ... if we get that far. =^..^=

KM-8030 J65

Still no success. Does anybody have a parts donor? I'd like to replace the switchback solenoid and/or duplex PWB. Please send as Private Message. Thanks. =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Still no success. Does anybody have a parts donor? I'd like to replace the switchback solenoid and/or duplex PWB. Please send as Private Message. Thanks. =^..^=
    Try cleaning/polishing grey oxides off the solenoid plungers with a very light sand paper. I've had a few plungers gum up over the years, an I've got them going again.

Knowing your expertise you would have covered everything, eg rough up/sandpaper the shafts on all one way bearings. I'm leaning towards a lazy sensor causing timing delay in the duplexer...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

KM-8030 J65

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Try cleaning/polishing grey oxides off the solenoid plungers with a very light sand paper. I've had a few plungers gum up over the years, an I've got them going again.

Knowing your expertise you would have covered everything, eg rough up/sandpaper the shafts on all one way bearings. I'm leaning towards a lazy sensor causing timing delay in the duplexer...
    Yeah, tried that. Scrubbed the hell out of the switchback solenoid plunger, and tapped it with a hammer. I got 1 maybe two pages through duplex before it jammed up. I found two sensors: DUPSCW1 got me out of the J00 loop and let me simplex. I swapped the other new sensor into each of the other locations with no change.

The reason I mention the duplex PWB is because I've had quirky duplex behavior after the fuser drive dusted the duplex board with iron oxide dust, creating new current paths. On one occasion cleaning off all the conductive dust helped for a while. In the end though I ended up changing the duplex PWB in both cases. =^..^=