Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts justanotherhack's Avatar

356ci printing from Mac

Customer has 2 macs (him and his wife) High Sierra. Latest 4.0 driver installed (clean install per bulletin). Both use Chrome extensively; Chrome crashes about once every ten times they try to print. It restarts, they have to go through the print process again, then it prints OK. Tried PCL option but then they couldn't select the MP tray or other printing options. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    356ci printing from Mac

Re: 356ci printing from Mac

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherhack View Post
    Customer has 2 macs (him and his wife) High Sierra. Latest 4.0 driver installed (clean install per bulletin). Both use Chrome extensively; Chrome crashes about once every ten times they try to print. It restarts, they have to go through the print process again, then it prints OK. Tried PCL option but then they couldn't select the MP tray or other printing options. Has anyone else seen this?
    Thanks.
    use the PS driver

Unhappy Re: 356ci printing from Mac

Kyocera doesn't have true postscript, they have a postscript emulation (KPDL). That's what I'm using. There is no PS driver for this machine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    356ci printing from Mac

Kyocera doesn't have true postscript, they have a postscript emulation (KPDL). That's what I'm using. There is no PS driver for this machine.
    the only thing i saw was PCL driver...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    356ci printing from Mac

Thanks.
    Two things! google recently [in the last couple of weeks] changed Chrome to only accept websites that have a SSL certificate. If Chrome is crashing it may be that it is Chrome and not the driver. Secondly, KPDL is postscript not an emulation. Kyo can not call it postscript for licensing purposes as they write their own software for postscript and do not want to pay the licensing fee to Adobe. We never had a problem using KPDL as the postscript driver for mac's for many years. Have they tried using another browser? I personally do not like chrome and never use it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Thanks.
    How does it go when printing from Safari?
    I’m not a fan of Chrome in either a MAC or PC environment for several reasons. We generally advise clients to save and open the item to print in their native app, especially PDFs. Do not print these from Preview, always open in Acrobat for best results. The copiers have no tolerance for third party “one size fits all” apps. F248 on the copier is a common result at these sites.

"Secondly, KPDL is postscript not an emulation. Kyo can not call it postscript for licensing purposes as they write their own software for postscript" This is why Kyocera (and some other brands that don't have true Postscript) started F248 crashing when High Sierra came out. Firmware for the machines had to be rewritten. Brands that use true Postscript didn't have that issue.

The problem is only happening in Chrome, but then again they really don't use much else, because Google Docs, gmail, etc all work through Chrome. Regarding recent changes to Chrome, these folks have had this issue since late last year. I'll check and see if they have to actively update Chrome on a mac, or if it happens automagically like on a PC. Maybe I should have them dump and reinstall Chrome...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    356ci printing from Mac

"Secondly, KPDL is postscript not an emulation. Kyo can not call it postscript for licensing purposes as they write their own software for postscript" This is why Kyocera (and some other brands that don't have true Postscript) started F248 crashing when High Sierra came out. Firmware for the machines had to be rewritten. Brands that use true Postscript didn't have that issue.

The problem is only happening in Chrome, but then again they really don't use much else, because Google Docs, gmail, etc all work through Chrome. Regarding recent changes to Chrome, these folks have had this issue since late last year. I'll check and see if they have to actively update Chrome on a mac, or if it happens automagically like on a PC. Maybe I should have them dump and reinstall Chrome...
    Since we also service HP printers that license postscript from Adobe, why do we get the equivalent error code on the HP's?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Install the Google Backup and Sync and you do not need to use Google. It will setup a folder on the local drive to sync and allow use without evening needing the internet, except to sync to the cloud. But file are available all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Since we also service HP printers that license postscript from Adobe, why do we get the equivalent error code on the HP's?
    OK, I didn't realize that... boy, was I misinformed. Sorry...