Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

DV units bad after toner change

I am curious if anyone else has had dv units lose their bias after a cartridge change? I have had a few customers over the past couple of years that after they installed a new cartridge the dv unit lost its bias. Moving the toner to a new dv unit solves the problem. I am guessing they are being too rough when changing the toner as the toner works just fine in the new dv. I am just interested in if there is a small fix to the dv units that can be made instead of swapping the whole thing out. Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: DV units bad after toner change

Quote Originally Posted by DougMoney View Post
    I am curious if anyone else has had dv units lose their bias after a cartridge change? I have had a few customers over the past couple of years that after they installed a new cartridge the dv unit lost its bias. Moving the toner to a new dv unit solves the problem. I am guessing they are being too rough when changing the toner as the toner works just fine in the new dv. I am just interested in if there is a small fix to the dv units that can be made instead of swapping the whole thing out. Thanks.
    wow ...what machine are we talking about?
    are you sure the dev units aren't moving off contacts?
    seems strange that swapping toners did this.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

First off, as Phil B. asked, what unit are we talking about? Secondly, are we talking about OEM toner or generic? We have seen generic toners even when purchased from the same supplier vary substantially. It is because they purchase from the lowest priced manufacturer and the toners are not compatible with each other causing DV problems.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It has happened in the P2135, M2535 and one other I can't remember the model number at the moment. The toner was purchased by the customer and one was oem and the others were generic. The toner cartridges were transferred to the new dv units and continued to work in the new units just fine. Cleaning the old units and trying OEM toner had no change. Once the dv went bad there was no recovering it. I assume, they broke something electrically in the dv unit. I know the people who changed the toners are not careful when they do this. I was just curious if anyone else had had this happen to them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If the problem you're having is that you're getting background and your solids are lighter, then your toner-to-carrier ratio is off due to a mix of different toner (either OEM to compatible, compatible to OEM, or poor QA compatible to compatible). You should be able to just completely vacuum out the developer unit and run U130. As long as the mix of toner is homogenous, whether OEM or compatible, you shoudn't have an issue resolving it without having to replace the developer.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I have to agree with the previous posters.

Either it's the generic toner (always a bad choice on mono-component and/or color devices), or the customer somehow dislodges the developing unit by pulling, yanking, or beating the cartridge in place. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

generic toner is the issue here 100%. after a toner change the quality of prints goes downhill fast, dirty grey background etc. then you have to hoover out the developer and fill it again. not worth it, stick to oem. side note the generic toner also fill the waste container in the drum unit, you get about half the life of it.