Technician

Question 5052ci - Possible To Increase "Folding Pressure" of BF-730 Booklet Folder?

I have a customer who keeps complaining about the booklet folder "jamming up". When the bi-folded and double-stapled booklets come out, they are just barely folded and are therefore open at a 45°+ angle. This causes premature triggering of the "full" sensor once the booklets inevitably get tangled up within each other and start doing acrobatics in the tray. I don't know whether or not this is supposedly normal behavior for this type of job with this particular machine but I'm hoping their might be some way to make this a stronger fold.

I've looked through the service manuals and have found nothing so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    5052ci - Possible To Increase "Folding Pressure" of BF-730 Booklet Folder?

Re: 5052ci - Possible To Increase "Folding Pressure" of BF-730 Booklet Folder?

I'd look again in the manuals for the paper specs for weight and max number of sheets. I'm not 100% sure on Kyoceras, but on a Canon and Ricoh booklet folder, you're limited to no more than 15 pages. That's based on 20 lb bond paper, so If they run a heavier stock, that'll change.

....Salesman probably told them the unit would feed and fold 100s of pages at one time with no problem.... because they're "Sales"....LOL!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The Kyocera will not allow too many pages to be loaded to the booklet folder, but it has no way of determining is the enduser lies about the gsm, which they frequently do. It causes jamming, because of the poorly fused images, and inadequate folding.

From the Specs page, the BF-730 can successfully booklet fold:
    16 sheets (60 to 90 g/m2)
    13 sheets (91 to 105 g/m2)
    1 cover sheet only (106 to 256 g/m2 )

My guess is that your enduser is putting significantly heavier media in the tray than is specified in the media setting. It's time to read some of those paper labels, or get out your gram scale, and see what they're feeding. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've not done it myself, but most of our Sharp machines in the field have been rigged up to where the sensor is cheated and the booklets fall into a cardboard box. Maybe some creative thinking along those lines will help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

I have made new stronger springs from some stock I had in the shop. Worked good for a flatter fold. You may be able to cut a loop out of the existing spring as well.