Senior Tech 100+ Posts

fs-2100 f24(8) error code

have one of these at an accountants office and it occasionally throws this code- i've never seen it but they say it's f24b which i think they are misreading and is f248. the manual has nothing but my research tells me memory error/corrupt print job with no known fix. anyone have any experience with this error? thank-you-- tuey

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Re: fs-2100 f24(8) error code

Quote Originally Posted by tuey View Post
    have one of these at an accountants office and it occasionally throws this code- i've never seen it but they say it's f24b which i think they are misreading and is f248. the manual has nothing but my research tells me memory error/corrupt print job with no known fix. anyone have any experience with this error? thank-you-- tuey
    Yes, it’s print data the machine can’t process. Generally from PDF files and usually because of a poor choice of driver or PDF application. Check the error log

Update firmware
    Install latest KX driver (if a PC)
    Ensure the client is using Acrobat DC or reader to print. Third party PDF handlers can cause issues like this
    Finally if it is still having problems after all this select “Print as Image” under the advanced tab in the Acrobat print manager.
    If it’s a Mac, do updated above and again ensure they open in Acrobat and not Preview to print.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Follow the suggestions Ropariva made, this solves many of the F248 codes. We have also seen mal-formed webpages cause this code when the user tries to print it. Check with your user to see what they were trying to print when the code occurs. You may find that they were trying to print info from a webpage that was not constructed properly or contains malware. Had a case about a month ago where a user in a secure facility was trying to print a webpage that their IT dept determined contained malware causing the unit to lock up with a F248 code. Make sure you have auto error clear turned on, this will at least let other users to continue to print in a peer environment. If you have the driver on a server it may require the print admin to clear the offending job from the print server queue as the offending computer [user] is just going to re-submit the bad job until it is deleted.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thanks , i'll let you know what happens. tuey

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

does anyone know what is the most recent firmware version for this, and where i could get it?? thanks-- tuey

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

updated firmware and it will now run 35-40 pages before coding out f248. it would code out before firmware at 4-5 pages. i'm on the right track but not fixed yet. has 1.3 gb of memory installed. they are printing quarterly tax documents. strange one for sure, i'm missing something. thanks--tuey

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

updated firmware and it will now run 35-40 pages before coding out f248. it would code out before firmware at 4-5 pages. i'm on the right track but not fixed yet. has 1.3 gb of memory installed. they are printing quarterly tax documents. strange one for sure, i'm missing something. thanks--tuey
    Have you looked at the event log to determine if you are getting truly getting a f248 code or is it a f24b, big difference. The f24b code is an illegal access to the font cache [typically by the program sending the print job] to change fonts, it usually raises its ugly head on longer print jobs where there can be multiple fonts used in the document. Since you state that you have already updated the firmware, my next step would be to remove and re-install the print driver with the latest version making sure that the fonts are re-installed as well. Has the customer checked with the tax prep vendor for any updates? If you are getting a f24b error code, which I suspect, the tax prep software is trying to illegally change the font cache in the middle of the print job.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

wow, you could be on to something santander. it is a f24b code i believe, early on everyone else that i discussed this with said the B is not a B it's an 8- just hard to read. i'm gonna try and get in and check that, thank-you-- tuey

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Is the document a PDF within the tax application or is it a saved document opened in Acrobat?
    Often the work around is the fix (print as image)especially if the error is coming from docs created within an app or web environment.
    In these cases it’s often “upgrades” to their applications that trigger the errors and the clients are generally totally in the dark as to what’s been done behind the scenes

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Clean out the PC print\spooler\ directory of any corrupt vector,PCL encoded files.

Reason for HTML PCL code print page fault:
    Web page coders use copyright and printer protection algorithms in their web page HTML,PHP code to prevent users from copy and pasting or printing out their web pages. When a web user presses the print button on their browser to print out the web page, the page java script detects the print function and adds unwanted chars or oversized(infinite scale) vector font sets to bloat the printed pages with garbage, which scrambles the layout of output pages before being send to the printer.

Web page owners feel they have a right to copy protect their own work.
    Of course Advert or Malware can do the same thing to HTML pages..

It is as it is...

You can convert the pages to XPS,PDF or manually screen copy and save each page as a raster graphic before printing.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••