Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Parts Comparison 4500 and 4551ci

Hello All,

I have a theory and have done some research on this but I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have too many issues with this... your opinion would be greatly appreciated...

I have a 4500i that t2 is not working. I know that it is the drive section 2 in the parts list however, I don't have the part available to me and really don't feel like rebuilding the drive assy at the customer's office. So, what I was thinking is taking a 4551ci and using the drive section from that on the 4500i. Has anyone done this and if did, did it work? I did see one discrepancy between them, a clutch but everything else is the same...

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thx! -J

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Parts Comparison 4500 and 4551ci

Never tried swapping drive units between color and b/w machines. These drive units last a lifetime, except for the clutches that rust over time (CLUTCH 50 Z35R), which causes paper jams. To me, it's safer to replace clutches on that drive (you will need 4) and one more behind the drive on the body. You will notice iron oxide as you take it apart.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Parts Comparison 4500 and 4551ci

Re: Parts Comparison 4500 and 4551ci

Quote Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
    Hello All,

I have a theory and have done some research on this but I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have too many issues with this... your opinion would be greatly appreciated...

I have a 4500i that t2 is not working. I know that it is the drive section 2 in the parts list however, I don't have the part available to me and really don't feel like rebuilding the drive assy at the customer's office. So, what I was thinking is taking a 4551ci and using the drive section from that on the 4500i. Has anyone done this and if did, did it work? I did see one discrepancy between them, a clutch but everything else is the same...

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thx! -J

The drive is the same but the board is different...so put the old board on the new drive assy. I would actually take a new clutch thats on the vertical path roller and replace it while there.