Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

CS-221 Developer / DV Unit ????

Hey guys, haven't worked on one of these in a long long time.
    Copystar CS-221. Service call was for light copies. I think it needs a developer change.
    I ordered a DV-460 (Thinking thats all I need). But after looking at the DV Unit, there is NO DEVELOPER in it.
    I know on the old CS-2030's, and 2050's you had to pour DV into the unit, and run SM#130.
    I can't find the Developer (Powder) any where for this machine.
    WHAT AM I MISSING ??????
    Thanks
    Mike

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: CS-221 Developer / DV Unit ????

Quote Originally Posted by QUALITY IMAGING View Post
    Hey guys, haven't worked on one of these in a long long time.
    Copystar CS-221. Service call was for light copies. I think it needs a developer change.
    I ordered a DV-460 (Thinking thats all I need). But after looking at the DV Unit, there is NO DEVELOPER in it.
    I know on the old CS-2030's, and 2050's you had to pour DV into the unit, and run SM#130.
    I can't find the Developer (Powder) any where for this machine.
    WHAT AM I MISSING ??????
    Thanks
    Mike
    I know on the old CS2030 the developer was changed out of the dv unit.If I recall on the CS 2050 -2550 series these machines were a mono component machine where the toner\dv was all in one. On these machines on the initial setup was to run #130 to load the dv unit from the toner cartridge but not after that. Never worked on the CS221 but looks similar to the 2050/2550

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scanmc View Post
    I know on the old CS2030 the developer was changed out of the dv unit.If I recall on the CS 2050 -2550 series these machines were a mono component machine where the toner\dv was all in one. On these machines on the initial setup was to run #130 to load the dv unit from the toner cartridge but not after that. Never worked on the CS221 but looks similar to the 2050/2550
    One more thing, Also make sure the mirrors are clean especially if the copies are light down the center. The fuser has a tendency to leave a hazy film on the mirrors since it sits right bellow them.
    Not sure if that's the issue or light copies on the entire page. Run some internal prints to see if it still happens if not look at the optics

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Yes, it's monocomponent. You'll have to supply toner to the developing unit, and it will suck up 1/2 of a cartridge. If you think that it isn't a toner issue, you can avoid wasting a ton of toner by dumping the majority of the toner from the old unit into the new, then run C130. It will only take less than a minute to top it up.

But if it's generic toner, very likely that is your problem, generic toner. Look for the Kyocera holographic sticker to confirm.

And yes, another very common light copies call is ozone clouded mirrors. Clean with alcohol until they actually look clean. That can take several tries. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

You can always print out a counter report to see if the light prints are from the optics or not. Meaning if the counter report is also light, you are on the right track by replacing the developer unit and toner. I say and toner because, it is possible that the toner is the problem. OEM or compatible toner can turn bad if the toner is not stored in the correct environment. I had a customer store there toner in the attic of their office and it was way to hot up there and I had to remove the toner they just installed from the developer unit to replace the toner. That could be your problem, so I would not advise dumping the toner out of the old developer unit into the new for that reason alone, plus that would be very messy and maybe not worth the trouble. I wouldn't even use the current toner installed in the machine at all, just in case it's bad. but that's just me.