Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ecosys M6535cidn toner bands

Hello all,
    I have an Ecosys M6535cidn in the shop that is placing toner bands on either side of the prints.
    These toner bands line up with the two ID sensors located just under the primary transfer belt, near the rear of the machine. I've installed a new Primary Transfer Belt, by the way.

There is also an ID Sensor Cleaner that is mounted on top of these two ID sensors, that have small, red cleaning brushes, that clean the ID sensors. I've manually cleaned the sensors with no sign of improvement of the issue.

This cleaning apparatus has a small mylar strip attached to it that extends through the toner motor side of the frame, and is attached to a spring mechanism.

The service manual says this cleaning apparatus is moved when closing the paper tray. However, I see no movement when closing the paper tray. I've checked this on another working model in shop. To be honest, I haven't determined what moves this ID sensor cleaning apparatus yet.

The weird thing about these toner bands on the prints is, they are quite vivid upon printing the first print, yet diminish after each print. By the time the third print comes out, it's clean as a whistle, with no sign of toner bands on the print.

I'm stumped. Other than replacing the Main Engine PWB, I haven't a clue what to do, and have doubts whether or not replacing the PWB will resolve the issue.
    Any thoughts, or ideas would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ecosys M6535cidn toner bands

See this thread and last few posts for solution.

The cleaning brush you're looking at is only for cleaning the ID sensors. The sensors and the calibration patches that they're reading are presumably fine. It's the cleaning voltage terminal that is likely deformed and not making good contact with the transfer belt.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ecosys M6535cidn toner bands

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    See this thread and last few posts for solution.

The cleaning brush you're looking at is only for cleaning the ID sensors. The sensors and the calibration patches that they're reading are presumably fine. It's the cleaning voltage terminal that is likely deformed and not making good contact with the transfer belt.

You were right! The cleaning voltage terminal had worked it's way out of position, and was lying under the MP tray. I removed the front cover, repositioned the terminal spring, and the toner bands went away. Thank you so very much for your help!