Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Taskalfa 420i scan smb

I have a customer that tries to scan but comes as not connected on the machine. There are 10 other users, wich are connected.
    I think is an IT problem, and not a copier problem since other people can scan, print, etc.

Customer keeps blaming the machine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Taskalfa 420i scan smb

Re: Taskalfa 420i scan smb

It's both, not just the machine. First, the machine is 10 years old and does not have the more modern smbv2 capabilities, even with Windows 7 now doing updates and turning off SMBv1 The reason for the windows updates is to stop new viruses that are using the SMBv1 to infiltrate the network and all items connected to it. FTP or email scanning are going to be the only options that will be reliable from now on the older machines. Options are as follows 1) have IT setup scan to FTP or email 2) buy a newer MFP.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Taskalfa 420i scan smb

You stated that one user cannot connect and ten others can, are they all using the same version of Windows? If you have ten users using an older version of Win7 and one user [not connecting] using Win10 you have the SMB 1 issue. I have to assume that the users are scanning to their desktops and not to a network folder. Can the user connect to the folder using Windows Explorer? Are the user permissions/security on the folder set correctly? Are you running in a domain network or a workgroup? It makes a difference on how you enter the username info, in a domain it would be domainname\username. Without knowing the windows version the client is using it makes it difficult to narrow it down any further.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    You stated that one user cannot connect and ten others can, are they all using the same version of Windows? If you have ten users using an older version of Win7 and one user [not connecting] using Win10 you have the SMB 1 issue. I have to assume that the users are scanning to their desktops and not to a network folder. Can the user connect to the folder using Windows Explorer? Are the user permissions/security on the folder set correctly? Are you running in a domain network or a workgroup? It makes a difference on how you enter the username info, in a domain it would be domainname\username. Without knowing the windows version the client is using it makes it difficult to narrow it down any further.
    I think all are using windows 10. Sometimes I get the same error message from an incoming fax. I know the machine is older, but have the same equipment in other offices, a law office and insurance office (as example) and don't get this issue. Both scan and print.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Taskalfa 420i scan smb

The irony of the whole thing is that smbv2 has been around for a long time. Why is it that most MFP manufactures did not include this capability out of the box when produced, it's really just a firmware release to allow them to.... it boils down to MONEY. I have several boxes that are 13 years + that still run great but are setup to scan though Sharpdesk, which is essentially an FTP setup. Maybe, what we need to start... if it has not already been done, is a thread in the connectivity section, "what is the preferable FTP scanning software for older boxes."
    Last edited by copiertec; 01-17-2019 at 12:38 AM.

1103Error: Pathname or File

could be do to a recent Windows update. Are they scanning to a single pc ie server or to each Pc?

Choices are uninstall windows update, setup scan via ftp or scan to email

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    1103Error: Pathname or File

could be do to a recent Windows update. Are they scanning to a single pc ie server or to each Pc?

Choices are uninstall windows update, setup scan via ftp or scan to email
    They are scanning to each PC. Never had an issue until the customer changed their IT guy. He does not cooperate or even help. Only answer he gives is buy new equipment. Which coincidentally he knows who can supply it......
    I have Konica Minolta but are like 8 year old too.... so it might have same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjlc View Post
    They are scanning to each PC. Never had an issue until the customer changed their IT guy. He does not cooperate or even help. Only answer he gives is buy new equipment. Which coincidentally he knows who can supply it......
    I have Konica Minolta but are like 8 year old too.... so it might have same issue.

Ok Talk to the Owner of the company, tell him or her do to Microsoft increase security smb scanning is no longer supported ie smb1 is disabled by MS , scanning will work via ftp ie filezilla server on every pc or setup scan to email. Both will put the problem back to there IT to resolve the issue.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi Patrick,

It's a SMB problem. Your TASKalfa 420i (a rock, like it too much) and your Windows 10 PC doesn't speak the same language, or better, the same SMB version.

Starting from version 1709 of Windows 10 SMB1 is not installed by default.
    BUT
    You can install it!!

Go to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off

Search for SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support
    and install both server and client.
    Screenshot in attachment.

In a perfect world Kyocera should be make a new firmware... but they only want to sell new copier and doesn't care about old models!

More information on SMB1 can be found here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-server

Bye bye,
    Kyove
    Attached Images Attached Images