Kyocera 2552ci all of a sudden stopped sending emails ??

Have a customer that asked me to look at his TASKalfa 2552ci that all of a sudden stopped sending emails. They keep getting scan to email error code 3101. We maintain the computers and server but not their copier. He said nothing had changed as far as passwords, email addresses (they use office 365 for emails). Looked at the setting on the copier and the smtp server name is set to smtp.charter.net, port 25, Authentication OFF, no Login Account name, SMTP Security Disabled, Sender address in correct. Tired changing the SMTP server name to smtp.office365.com and the port to 587 which is what office 365 setting said they should be but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Kyocera 2552ci all of a sudden stopped sending emails ??

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Have a customer that asked me to look at his TASKalfa 2552ci that all of a sudden stopped sending emails. They keep getting scan to email error code 3101. We maintain the computers and server but not their copier. He said nothing had changed as far as passwords, email addresses (they use office 365 for emails). Looked at the setting on the copier and the smtp server name is set to smtp.charter.net, port 25, Authentication OFF, no Login Account name, SMTP Security Disabled, Sender address in correct. Tired changing the SMTP server name to smtp.office365.com and the port to 587 which is what office 365 setting said they should be but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    When running on smtp.office365.com on 587, starttls encryption must be on and you must authenticate with a login.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Standard for port 587 is tls for encryption and authentication used.

port 465 is ssl with authentication used.

SMTP provider can give you the exact settings required.

I am puzzled as to why it was working with office 365 with their original setting and all of a sudden it stopped?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

I am puzzled as to why it was working with office 365 and all of a sudden it stopped?
    If you were not using authentication, you were likely using the relay method which is based upon your IP being in the allowed list. That public IP may have changed.

Just use authentication as it’s reliable. You can also get away with not using an Office365 license for the copier scanner account, by creating a shared mailbox called scanner and giving access to that shared mailbox, to a licensed user. That licensed user’s details can be used for the authentication but with the send as address being set to scanner. Voila, no extra license needed and you have a proper dedicated email for the copier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I am puzzled as to why it was working with office 365 with their original setting and all of a sudden it stopped?
    , port 25, Authentication OFF, no Login Account name, SMTP Security Disabled

This configuration is perfect for email spammers to use a mail server to send out massive amounts of spam. Could be it got shut down due to abuse.

jhalfhide's answer is most likely.

Logged into the office 365 account and verified that the account is working and able to send and receive emails so I know the account is good and not shut down.
    Last edited by kuby; 02-01-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Found a document on how to set it up for office 365 email on a Kyocera and it worked!!! Thank You

I have set it up on Canon's before but never 365 on a Kyocera. (always used Pin Point scan).

jhalfhide thanks for the info. Wasn't having this issue in particular, but its always good to learn something new.