Thread: KM 2552ci

Technician

KM 2552ci

Yesterday I went to deliver and set up a new 2552ci at a small library, along with a 3045dn printer. The 2552ci was replacing a 250ci and the 3045 replaced an HP. Plugged everything in to the same ports, but the network did not see either of the new machines. Could not get an address from DHCP, when I put an address in the machine it would accept it, but it wouldn't show up on the network status page same thing for the wifi. Plugged the old ones back in and every thing worked just fine. Checked and reset the router, still nothing, not even a link light. I still don't know why but I connected the printer directly to the router (same port)and everything worked just fine, same with the MFP. The wiring and the wall jack have to be ok because the old stuff works just fine. ANY IDEAS? I have no clue. There "IT" person says his stuff is OK. Any help would be great. TIA

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM 2552ci

Re: KM 2552ci

Were you trying to use the same IP and print from the old drivers? Maybe the driver uses hostname, not IP? Can you print directly from your laptop? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    KM 2552ci

Quote Originally Posted by FWITIW View Post
    Yesterday I went to deliver and set up a new 2552ci at a small library, along with a 3045dn printer. The 2552ci was replacing a 250ci and the 3045 replaced an HP. Plugged everything in to the same ports, but the network did not see either of the new machines. Could not get an address from DHCP, when I put an address in the machine it would accept it, but it wouldn't show up on the network status page same thing for the wifi. Plugged the old ones back in and every thing worked just fine. Checked and reset the router, still nothing, not even a link light. I still don't know why but I connected the printer directly to the router (same port)and everything worked just fine, same with the MFP. The wiring and the wall jack have to be ok because the old stuff works just fine. ANY IDEAS? I have no clue. There "IT" person says his stuff is OK. Any help would be great. TIA
    connection speed set too HIGH for the old network?
    is DCHP server installed? did you try manual input of old setup ( Network )
    no link steers me towards bad speed or wiring.. have you tested with laptop? LT>server LT w/ their cables>printer?

Can you ping the new printer from Any host on the network? Some switches can manage the Mac address. A trick that I discovered over the years is put a different ip connect the network wait a few minutes and the put back the wanted ip. You will clear the arp table on the switch and start working.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Sound like their network supplies an IP when it has a valid MAC address. Have run into this a few times. Swap out old machine with a new one from same manufacture with the same address and no go. Call IT and give MAC printing starts.

Technician

Just a follow up. I carried the printer all over the building, and found that the only jacks that didn't work, were the 2 that the old printers were plugged into. The building is only about 10 years old, so I am assuming that the contractor had an old spool of wire lying around that he used for a couple of lines, then started on some new stuff that would handle the 100 base printers. Moved the printer and MFP to a new location, and all is good.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    KM 2552ci

Wow that's crazy that you would have the only 2

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM 2552ci

I have had cases where the old machine worked fine but the new machine wouldn't connect unless I took it off Auto Detect Network Speed and set it manually for a lower connection speed. In those cases a new drop solved the issue.