Senior Tech 100+ Posts

copystar cs 3050 trouble clearing grey background

Hi, I'd like to run this by the kyocera experts. They are always throwing me on machines I don't normally work on. Outside of some other problems I came across and spent a bit of time get around them, the main problem is dirty background. Drum & developer have 260,000+ copies. I cleaned all the normal things as in other copiers,( contacts, transfer roller,etc.) & ran drum refresh procedure 2 times. I saw in the book they mention a dirty or bad charger could cause it. I wonder if replacing it has ever fixed the problem before. I was also researching past posts and they mention 3rd party toner is bad news. The cartridge they had in there had a kyocera logo sticker on it. Since I haven't seen a known oem toner before, can I trust that this is oem ? Also when running the drum refresh the second time, it was telling me the toner was getting low, even though it felt like it was almost completely full. Would this be an indication of something ? I think replacing the drum & developer would probably fix it, but i don't want to make them buy it if it is some other kind of problem. As always, thank you for your added insight.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts itchyfinger@att.net's Avatar

Re: copystar cs 3050 trouble clearing grey background

the pm cycle is 400k on the cs3050. depending on how long ago they had pm time may have shortened the life of drum and dev. we never ever use non oem toner in our machines. if I recall the toner cartage has the Kyocera emblem molded into it and not a label... you can try empty the developer unit and put in oem toner and run sim 130 to have it fill the dv unit with toner. if copies are not better I would replace the dv unit and still use oem toner

Hello,

Sometimes I have seen these machines get very dirty. I would pull most everything out of the front of the machine and vacuum it out really well. There is a vent in there that can get clogged I believe. Also you can clean the charge roller with windex or brillianize. Sometimes that works well. If the charge roller has any bumps or cracks then it needs to be replaced. These are the only ideas I have at the moment.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfinger@att.net View Post
    the pm cycle is 400k on the cs3050. depending on how long ago they had pm time may have shortened the life of drum and dev. we never ever use non oem toner in our machines. if I recall the toner cartage has the Kyocera emblem molded into it and not a label... you can try empty the developer unit and put in oem toner and run sim 130 to have it fill the dv unit with toner. if copies are not better I would replace the dv unit and still use oem toner
    The Kyocera sticker is holographic if that helps you at all. Just because that cartridge is OEM, does not mean that the rest of the developer contents is also. I'd follow itchy's suggestion of dumping the developing unit. Make sure that you don't have any toner buildup on the developing roller. If you do, it can be removed dry with a green scrubbie. Refill the developing unit using U130, and a known OEM cartridge. After filling the developing unit you may have to inspect the developing cylinder for mottling. Just dry-wipe any lumps of toner with a soft cloth (no cleaners, DRY). That has resolved most of my issue of this sort. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DBlacksher View Post
    Hello,

Sometimes I have seen these machines get very dirty. I would pull most everything out of the front of the machine and vacuum it out really well. There is a vent in there that can get clogged I believe. Also you can clean the charge roller with windex or brillianize. Sometimes that works well. If the charge roller has any bumps or cracks then it needs to be replaced. These are the only ideas I have at the moment.
    There is no charge roller. Falcon III uses charge wire and a stainless grid. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Charge assembly will most likely be the culprit, a common problem with these machines. Clean it as best you can before replacing though, because I've seen far too many come brand new that had issues also, causing darker on one side than the other. Whenever I do a pm on these and the charge assy isn't giving me any problems and the new one works like it's supposed to, I save the old one for backup cause sooner or later I'm going to need it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

While you're in there, check other things too. Clean the lower picker fingers and make sure the tabs on the lower finger frame that push it back from the fuser when the door is closed are in good condition, they tend to break off. Make sure the op panel is working properly, those screens tend to go out from time to time and are kind of a pain to replace. Weird that it happens, since the precurser machine (3035,4035, 5035) op panels never had any problems. Check the DF feed belt, if you rub your finger across it and it squeaks it's getting worn. Let me know if you have any other questions. Other that getting a bit old, they are still good machines and I've been keeping mine in the field as long as possible. As a matter of fact, I just picked up a couple for practically nothing with low meters that I'm probably going to put out in the feild cause they work so well.