Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    TA 221 Lines on prints only

I have customer with a Kyocera TA 221 printing lines, that look like drum blade chatter lines, that only show up when printing, from multiple computers on their network.
    The lines do not show up when copying, from the glass or doc feeder.
    They only show up when printing and it get worse as multiple pages are printed at once.
    Worse meaning that more lines show up and they get darker on page 10 verses page 1.
    I did replace the Drum unit and the developer unit and transfer roller with no change.

Since it only happens when printing,
    Can the driver cause this problem? (maybe uninstall and reinstall drivers?)
    I hate to think about replacing the print board, but
    What do you think?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: TA 221 Lines on prints only

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    I have customer with a Kyocera TA 221 printing lines, that look like drum blade chatter lines, that only show up when printing, from multiple computers on their network.
    The lines do not show up when copying, from the glass or doc feeder.
    They only show up when printing and it get worse as multiple pages are printed at once.
    Worse meaning that more lines show up and they get darker on page 10 verses page 1.
    I did replace the Drum unit and the developer unit and transfer roller with no change.
    Since it only happens when printing,
    Can the driver cause this problem? (maybe uninstall and reinstall drivers?)
    I hate to think about replacing the print board, but
    What do you think?
    I think that counts on parts..
    error logs
    and examples of the mess posted

would be a great first step

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think I'd really really like to see a sample before commenting on an image quality issue. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think I'd really really like to see a sample before commenting on an image quality issue. =^..^=
    Sample.pdfI might not be smart enough to upload the sample, but here it is. I think.
    Notice that the lines are only showing up in the center area and know that the page is fed 11x8.5 (portrait) through the machine.
    The lines do not show up if copying or internal print(counter report), they only shoe up when printing form a computer.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It just seems unlikely that these lines are only ever occurring when printing. My first impression is that there are front-to-back scars on the heat roller that depending on the previous image fill, intermittently pick up toner to reprint later.

I just want to confirm that for portrait, you mean LEF (long edge feed), yes?

Two additional things:
    1) sometimes you can get intermittent fusing defects if the fuser temperature is too low or too high when the printer is waking up to print. Experiment by sending print jobs when it's fully warmed up, and when it's asleep.
    2) (I guess I'm just stuck on fusing) ... I think I'd take a look at the heat lamps, looking for hot spots that might overheat areas of the heat roller.
    3) OK, three. If you're still convinced that it's only printing, set up your laptop to print to it. In this way you can do some experimentation with emulation, KIR (Kyocera Image Rastering), media types, file types, print driver versions, etc. without disturbing the customers daily operations or tying up their computers.

You've clearly got repetitive defects at 3.59" (91.18mm). See them? What roller is 29.02mm diameter? =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Looks like the crap on the drum the 306 machines got.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    Sample.pdfI might not be smart enough to upload the sample, but here it is. I think.
    Notice that the lines are only showing up in the center area and know that the page is fed 11x8.5 (portrait) through the machine.
    The lines do not show up if copying or internal print(counter report), they only shoe up when printing form a computer.
    Your example print shows only lines in the blank area of the form. If it was a print issue the the lines would be throughout the printed output of the form. How did they create the form, from a scan? It maybe the form scanned has the lines you describe already in the form? it is highly unlikely to have a machine issue in only one section of a printout as per your example I would investigae where the form orignates.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Your example print shows only lines in the blank area of the form. If it was a print issue the the lines would be throughout the printed output of the form. How did they create the form, from a scan? It maybe the form scanned has the lines you describe already in the form? it is highly unlikely to have a machine issue in only one section of a printout as per your example I would investigae where the form orignates.
    It happens on all print jobs, from different programs and different computers. I found out today that their printer is on a server, so they are having their IT guy uninstall and reinstall drivers from Kyocera website instead of the windows 10 stock driver.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It just seems unlikely that these lines are only ever occurring when printing. My first impression is that there are front-to-back scars on the heat roller that depending on the previous image fill, intermittently pick up toner to reprint later.

I just want to confirm that for portrait, you mean LEF (long edge feed), yes?

Two additional things:
    1) sometimes you can get intermittent fusing defects if the fuser temperature is too low or too high when the printer is waking up to print. Experiment by sending print jobs when it's fully warmed up, and when it's asleep.
    2) (I guess I'm just stuck on fusing) ... I think I'd take a look at the heat lamps, looking for hot spots that might overheat areas of the heat roller.
    3) OK, three. If you're still convinced that it's only printing, set up your laptop to print to it. In this way you can do some experimentation with emulation, KIR (Kyocera Image Rastering), media types, file types, print driver versions, etc. without disturbing the customers daily operations or tying up their computers.

You've clearly got repetitive defects at 3.59" (91.18mm). See them? What roller is 29.02mm diameter? =^..^=
    I see what you're saying here. I am not married to the idea that it only happens on print jobs, but I can't get it to do it when copying with a test pattern or blank copies.
    I think I'll try another Fuser Unit, just to see. It is strange that it is only in the center area, which would indicate fuser.
    These fusers are known for the heat rollers to warp, so it's worth a try.
    But I keep thinking about the fact that it doesn't do it when copying.
    I'll let you know the outcome.
    Thanks