Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

TA8001i Exit rollers running in reverse

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone out there has had an 8001 exit run in reverse. I have several in a school district that will do this with certain print jobs from web browser. Have tried different driver configuration and updated firmware. Have instructed the customer to download the document then print, but really wanted to know what causes it? When this occurs it will throw 43xx jams. Clear the jam and shut the conveying door and the exit roller continue to run in reverse and jam again. Clear the print queue and machine runs fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: TA8001i Exit rollers running in reverse

you're either getting a duplex non arrival jam or a stationary jam the full jam code would be more helpful....but in order for the paper to enter the duplex section the exit section will feed the paper in part way then reverse to feed it into the duplex section.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Your not understanding. Something in the job being printed is causing the exit unit rollers to run in reverse. Clear the print job from job log the machine runs fine. Send that print job to the machine again and exit rollers run in reverse. Multiple machines doing this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The only odd drive behavior I've seen from the exit units is that they will stop receiving drive control signals, even with open interlocks. Many times over have I seen the exit unit motor continue to drive in reverse even with the conveyance door open. The only solution (other than power cycling) is to replace the Front PWB. Never saw anything specific to a print job.

So, if you clear it and print another document outside of a web browser, you don't get the jam? And if you go back and print the "bad job" from the browser again, the symptom returns? Was the same document ever printed outside of a web browser?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ntbann View Post
    Your not understanding. Something in the job being printed is causing the exit unit rollers to run in reverse. Clear the print job from job log the machine runs fine. Send that print job to the machine again and exit rollers run in reverse. Multiple machines doing this.
    It is obvious that the print stream coming from the website is causing the issue as you stated. Are the users trying to print two sided? Are they trying to print a webpage or is the webpage actually a document? Had a case about a year ago [on a different model] where the customer thought they were just printing a webpage that was actually a Word document that had embedded commands to pull information off a different server [a database server] and insert it into the document. Got their IT involved and they figured out that the users having the problem did not have permission to access the DB server so the requests to the DB server were blocked and since they were printing two sided the unit just rotated backwards until it coded out. Don't know if this helps but worth a look.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ky...tml?highlight=

A year later and we still have the same issue. My rep has written it up and I sent a video along with it. The fact the the motors continue running when the door is opened should be enough of a safety hazard to get something done quickly, but it's not been addressed. I've only ever seen it on the 8001i.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ky...tml?highlight=

A year later and we still have the same issue. My rep has written it up and I sent a video along with it. The fact the the motors continue running when the door is opened should be enough of a safety hazard to get something done quickly, but it's not been addressed. I've only ever seen it on the 8001i.
    I can tell you it's not the Engine , Main , Front PWB, HDD or firmware.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I can tell you it's not the Engine , Main , Front PWB, HDD or firmware.
    hi

yes we have this scenario also. had it approx 3 months ago, changed right hand door with a working machine- no good. changed with a brand new door and problem gone for 3 months, but now returned. with right hand door open rollers turn in reverse but shows on screen door is open. i know static problems exist in the rh door so im leaning toward that again unless anyone got to the bottom of it. will keep all updated.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I had one do it yesterday. Still no fix besides rebooting the machine to get it running.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    I had one do it yesterday. Still no fix besides rebooting the machine to get it running.
    doing it on copy jobs too. strange how replacing the door fixed it for 3 months and believe me this machine gets used alot so you would think it would have come back before then. also i did the course on these machines and i remember being told that because the AK unit pulls out perpendicular to the machine, to stop crumpling of paper if jammed between exit and AK the software would keep rollers turning till the paper was in a more accessible place.so dont know if this has a bearing on whats happening. only seems to happen when doing duplex. after a sleepless night thinking about this im toying with the idea of getting the customer to swith off machine overnight instead of leaving in sleep mode and even runnin a wire from RH door into the earth on the power inlet.